Animated presentation

Discuss the presentation application
victorpaul

Animated presentation

Post by victorpaul »

I am using windows 7. I am trying to produce an animated presentation which will simulate steam flowing through a pipe when a valve is opened. So I draw a rectangle representing the pipe now I want to gradually fill it with colour from left, right, up or down. Any suggestions?

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply, was "presentation" (Hagar, Moderator).
openoffice 4.1.0 on windows 7
acknak

Re: Animated presentation

Post by acknak »

Here's a sample. I made a color-filled rectangle and set it behind the pipe rectangle. I added an animation to the colored rectangle: Entrance > Wipe (On click, From left).

This works fairly well. You can change the wipe direction to handle vertical pipes. The biggest problem I see is that the speed of the "filling" varies with the length of the rectangle. It will be tedious to get everything set up if your diagram is very complex.
Attachments
pipe_fill.odp
(11.04 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
victorpaul

Post by victorpaul »

Thanks for that. I've tried it and it works ok except, as you say, the speed is difficult to control
openoffice 4.1.0 on windows 7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I find speeds in Impress are uncertain. In general, not having examined acknak's sample file, usually Slow or Very Slow is best, as Normal and Fast can be almost instantaneous. It is usually best to /Tools /Minimise Presentation (which one ought do anyway for best file handling at presentation time) and judge the speed on the minimised presentation.

I will make a suggestion to the DEV mailing list that some attention be given to the speed structure of Impress. Perhaps an advanced tunable control structure could be added with little difficulty.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS