Constantly crashes

Discuss the presentation application
magnoliasouth

Constantly crashes

Post by magnoliasouth »

I'm really getting aggravated. I've been working on a presentation for 12 hours. Literally, every 10 minutes this thing crashes. The recovery destroys my previous work by changing backgrounds that I never even used. It has literally given me a migraine.

I had the previous version so I installed the current version of 4.1.2 and I have Windows 10.

The last crash reformatted every single font and each slide has a different style. Oh and no, I don't click recovery. The last time I did that it deleted half my pictures. I just want the last save because now every single time I ever want to edit or make a change of anything I save it. I shouldn't have to, but I do.

I mean, I really appreciate this free software. I really do. It's just that this is ridiculous. Each time it crashes, I get a different error. Something about a graphic not available or JRE isn't installed (even though it is) or something. Anything!

:crazy:

While I'm on the subject, how do I make this slideshow where when someone clicks the file it will run. Am I to understand that you can't do that. You have to open it in a mode where a user can edit it?
RoryOF

Re: Constantly crashes

Post by RoryOF »

There are a number of things to try. First, delete or rename your OpenOffice user profile - it may be sufficient to simply delete file "registrymodifications.xcu". This profile delete/rename often fixes instability problems, particularly on installations of OpenOffice upgraded from earlier versions.

A useful diagnostic on Windows is to start Windows in Safe Mode. If OO runs stable in that mode you must suspect crosstalk (interference) from some program or driver that runs in Windows normal mode.

If you are including graphics in your presentation, adjust the memory settings in /Tools /Options /OpenOffice : Memory. Also, do not use oversized (hi-res) graphics - reduce these towards the resolution used by the target projector and minimise the presentation (/Tools /Minimise presentation) when it is complete, using this minimised version for delivery.

From memory I think there is an extension that will autostart an Impress presentation. I cannot say if this works on presentations saved in Powerpoint format. Do they not autostart when saved with extension .pps and displayed using Powerpoint?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
magnoliasouth

Post by magnoliasouth »

Many thanks, I will try your suggestions and see what comes of it.

Again, I truly appreciate your help.
raklein5

Post by raklein5 »

where is this file located it's not in the open office folder.
openoffice 4.1.1 windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

registrymodifications.xcu should be in the OpenOffie user profile, which can be found by opening File Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer Address Bar and press Enter. registrymodifications.xcu should be in the "user" folder
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS