Powerpoint numbering system

Discuss the presentation application
mcrentertainment

Powerpoint numbering system

Post by mcrentertainment »

I need to use and edit a presentation created with MS Powerpoint.

The presentation has a list of numbered points spanning several slides. 1, 2, 3 on slide one, 4, 5 on slide two, 6, 7, 8 on slide three etc. When I open the file with impress, what I get is 1, 3, 5 on slide one, (i), (iii), on slide two, i, iii, v on slide three etc.

I can open the presentation using the free powerpoint veiwer downloaded from the MS website, but I need to be able to edit the presentation using impress. When I do this and save, it saves the numbering change and then it looks wrong when veiwing in powerpoint veiwer.

Thoughts anyone?
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP + ubuntu
Phil
Volunteer

Re: Powerpoint numbering system

Post by Phil »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

As the MS file formats were closed formats until quite recently, there are some flaws in compatibility. However, I never encountered problems in numbering, so this really sounds weird.
Can you maybe upload an example here so that we can reproduce the problem?

Regards, phil
OOo 3.0.1 & DEV-3.1 • WinXP pro 32-bit + SP3 + current patches
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
cigtoxdoc

Post by cigtoxdoc »

I had same problem with moving a MS PowerPoint presentation from PC with MS PowerPoint 2003 SP3 to PC withOpenOffice 2.4. I had several slides with subtopics numbered 1, 2, 3.

When I opened file in OpenOffice, the numbers were 2, 3, 4. When I saved the file with a new name and reset the number to 1, 2, 3, and then saved as PowerPoint and then moved it back to PC with MS Office 2003 SP3. The subheadings were then numbered 0, 2, 3. I checksed my presentation that I made before SP3 and they did show the same behavior.

Also, I can open a pefectly formatted PowerPoint presentation in OpenOffice and OpenOffice trashes my formating. Slide titles I have on one line, it makes two. It also trashes my placeholder size and positionsettings on some but not all slides.

Cigtoxdoc
acknak

Post by acknak »

The quality of code in Impress is weak in some areas, including Powerpoint import. It mostly works, but you will find problems.

If you have specific features that reproducibly import incorrectly, you should report the problem, along with sample documents demonstrating the problem.

[Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23