[Solved] Running a presentation on a PC without OOo

Discuss the presentation application
Sarel

[Solved] Running a presentation on a PC without OOo

Post by Sarel »

I am using Open Office ver 2.1 on MS Windows XP. I am enjoying OO Impress very much and are creating slide shows for various reasons/applications, but I want to know how I can save/export the files in order to run it from a CD, or a PC without OO.
Thanks!
Sarel
Last edited by Sarel on Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OOo 2.1.X on Ms Windows XP
Hagar Delest

Re: Running a presentation on a PC without OOo

Post by Hagar Delest »

See here: [Issue+Workaround] "Pack and Go" in Impress?

NB: you should upgrade to latest 2.4.1.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Sarel

Post by Sarel »

Thanks, I have downloaded 2.4.1. I will install it over the weekend. (Perhaps this will help me with exporting to ppt. At the moment when I do this, I loose the sounds that I have added in my presentation.) I have tried to export it to HTML format, but this does not work, for I have lots of features that disappear when I do this. Sound like saving a Portable Office might do the trick. I have searched the forum and the help files for "portable office", with no results. How do I do this?

Thanks for your help!
Sarel
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Sarel

Post by Sarel »

I have just upgraded to 2.4.1. I went to the link of OO 2.4.1 Portable. Do you suggest that I have to download 2.4.1 Portable also and install it to the CD that I want to distribute my presentation on? Do I have to copy OO Portable on all the CD's that I want to put my presentation on? This mean that my clients can edit, or break the presentations when they open it with OO, instead of just running it as an app? I wanted to create something that I can distribute, without my clients being able to edit/break it. Am I stuck here?

Thanks for helping me and all your effort to help me learn about OO! I really appreciate it!
Sarel
acknak

Post by acknak »

The way you're going will certainly work, however it has a number of drawbacks, especially for distributing a canned show for people to watch. It still might be ok if your audience is informal (friends/family) but I would be very surprised if it was acceptable for a professional audience.

The best way to distribute a canned show is to convert the presentation to a video format. Finding something that "everyone" can view can be difficult, but there are some video formats (e.g. Flash) that have very good coverage.

The big problem with converting to video is that the conversion is not trivial. Here's my understanding (may be incomplete and/opr out of date): There are commercial solutions, but only for Powerpoint. There are some open-source tools for OpenOffice, but they give mixed results and/or are not easy to use.

If I were in your shoes, I would stick to a PDF export of the show: most people have a PDF reader, or can get one for free. The downside is that you lose animations and slide transitions.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

acknak wrote:If I were in your shoes, I would stick to a PDF export of the show: most people have a PDF reader, or can get one for free.
+1.
If you really need some parts of a slide not to be shown immediately, copy the slide and for the first duplicate, remove what has to be hidden.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
Sarel

Post by Sarel »

Thanks for all your input! I really appreciate it! I learned allot about Impress and about this forum. Both is really great!
I will keep you up to date with my progress...

Cheers
Sarel