[Solved] Setting Default Dictionary

Discuss the presentation application

[Solved] Setting Default Dictionary

Postby StuNorfleet » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:28 pm

Greetings! Is there a way that I can set US English as my default dictionary (as opposed to UK)?

Thank you!
Last edited by StuNorfleet on Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apache Open Office 4.1.1 on Windows 8.1
StuNorfleet

Re: Setting Default Dictionary

Postby Villeroy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:10 pm

No, you do not declare any dictionaries. You mark text portions as being written in some human language (or [None]) and the respective dictionary will be used if availlable. The language of a text portion is just another formatting option like colors, borders, fonts, underlining etc.

Therefore you either define the language of your templates and/or some language for documents that are not made from any particular template.

menu:Tools>Options>LanguageSettings>Languages: Default western language = English(USA)
Current document only = OFF
Confirm the dialog. It applies to all new documents that are not derived from some template.

For templates and existing documents:
Open and activate one of your templates for editing (menu:File>Templates>Edit...)
menu:Tools>Options>LanguageSettings>Languages: Default western language = English(USA)
Current document only = ON
Confirm the dialog, save and close your template or document.

This modifies the language for all paragraph styles and character styles. Any text portions where the language is explicitly set otherwise will keep the explicitly set language.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby StuNorfleet » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:13 pm

MANY thanks! A bit more involved than I had anticipated and I will follow your directions!

Thank you, again!
Apache Open Office 4.1.1 on Windows 8.1
StuNorfleet

Postby Villeroy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:19 pm

You can write multi-lingual documents and each part will be checked by the right dictionary or not at all if the dictionary is not installed or if the language is [None]. This is as easy as writing text in multiple colors.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Villeroy
Volunteer

Return to Impress