[Solved] File locations for customization

Discuss the presentation application
inga

[Solved] File locations for customization

Post by inga »

I looked through the Impress documentation at http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/ and could not find a list of file locations for user options/customization.

Specifically, I'd like to know where to find the saved settings for toolbar changes in Impress, as well as other customization.

Looking through the files manually has not resulted in any 'hits' -- so far.

I figured maybe one of you good people could help me. ;)

(I need to set up a more or less dummy-proof system for my hubby, and I have made changes in my own setup that I want to copy to his, without going through all the work of doing the same thing in his setup.)
Last edited by inga on Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows XP OS in a PC. OO3.0 installed
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
Safway
Volunteer

Re: File locations for customization

Post by Safway »

Hmmmm, well, you didn't provide a lot of information about your environment, but maybe my suggestions below might apply to you:

If you are talking about the menus, then this site has some tips for customizing the user interface: http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wik ... ing_the_UI
http://openoffice.blogs.com/openoffice/ ... index.html

If your "other customizations" include deployment situations, this site has some tips for rolling out customizations: http://www.appdeploy.com/packages/detail.asp?id=497

If you are working in a Windows environment, then the user's customizations can be found in the C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Application Data\OpenOffice... directory. Note that the Application Data directory is usually hidden, so you will need to unhide it if you use Microsoft's File Explorer.
If someone posts a fix for your question, then please post a quick thank you and then go to your first post, use the edit button to add [Solved] as the first word of the title so other people can rely on the fix as well.
LibreOffice 3.3.3 on Fedora
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

See in that one: OOo_user_profile/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/UI, should be the ImpressWindowState.xcu file. To be sure, change your toolbar and see if that file is modified.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
inga

Post by inga »

Sorry, forgot to say I work in Windows XP, OO 2.4 installation.

Will check out options suggested so far.

Thanks/
inga

Post by inga »

Windows XP, OO 2.4:

It looks like this directory has all the user-configured data:

Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\OpenOffice.org2\user\config\soffice.cfg\modules\
inga

Post by inga »

Thanks, Safway, your suggestions were very helpful. The page above is excellent. :D
inga

Post by inga »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:See in that one: OOo_user_profile/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/UI, should be the ImpressWindowState.xcu file. To be sure, change your toolbar and see if that file is modified.
Is that the Xubuntu location?

I'm looking to install Xubuntu or another Linux version soon. ;)
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] File locations for customization

Post by Hagar Delest »

No, it is for another purpose it seems. You're right, your path seems better!
The folder structure is exactly the same between Windows and GNU/Linux (I even copy my profile from one system to the other sometimes!).
inga

Post by inga »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:No, it is for another purpose it seems. You're right, your path seems better!
The folder structure is exactly the same between Windows and GNU/Linux (I even copy my profile from one system to the other sometimes!).
Awesome! :D

Now, I may be going off-topic a bit, but it seems then that with Linux I can still access my Windows data, particularly through OO ...

Don't know why I've hesitated for years to install Linux.

Now, since we're off-topic anyway, can you please share with me why you're using Xubuntu instead of another version of Linux?

I'm looking for the easiest, least fussy version of Linux, since I'll have to be holding my hubby's hand through this. I expect to install it on an older laptop (only 500 MB memory) because I understand that it is less of a resource hog. He would use only Impress and Writer.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I used to run Ubuntu because I like Gnome very much. But the 8.04 version is quite heavy on my old laptop (933MHz with 256MB RAM). So I tried the xubuntu version and it's quite good. I still prefer Gnome but XFCE is not that bad.

Note that if you install xUbuntu, do it from a xubuntu install CD, don't install Ubuntu and then the xubuntu packages because there are remaining packages from the Gnome install that seem to stick and performances are different from a direct xubuntu install.
inga

Post by inga »

Again, thanks for that very helpful reply.
Hagar de l'Est wrote:I used to run Ubuntu because I like Gnome very much. But the 8.04 version is quite heavy on my old laptop (933MHz with 256MB RAM). So I tried the xubuntu version and it's quite good. I still prefer Gnome but XFCE is not that bad.

Note that if you install xUbuntu, do it from a xubuntu install CD, don't install Ubuntu and then the xubuntu packages because there are remaining packages from the Gnome install that seem to stick and performances are different from a direct xubuntu install.