"Impress" title is unprofessional

Discuss the presentation application
richardbaxter

"Impress" title is unprofessional

Post by richardbaxter »

OpenOffice Presentation Package Developers,

Unfortunately the title "Impess" for the OpenOffice Presenation Package is not professional. In English, the word "Impress" implies a desire to show off - which might be the case for informal usage of OpenOffice Presentation Package, but is irrelevant and misleading for corporate usage of the OpenOffice Presentation Package. If OpenOffice is going to compete in the corporate world, it cannot accept the name "Impress"

I suggest changing the title "Impress" to "Present". This is also consistent with the other package names.

(I tried logging this as an issue, and it was rejected. R Bircher suggested compiling a new version of Impress under a different name, but this is not required. So where should a marketing issue for OpenOffice like this be lodged? Also; lingucomponent.openoffice.org/grammar.html is outdated (2.4.1 did not come with a grammar checker) - so where should a website issue for OpenOffice like this be lodged?)

Thanks - look forward to receiving some support on this,

Richard
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP + Fedora Core
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: "Impess" title is unprofessional

Post by thomasjk »

This is a user to user forum. Developers do not hang out here. Bugs and issues can be submitted here http://qa.openoffice.org/.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
richardbaxter

Post by richardbaxter »

You do realise this issue being sent around in circles... I will try adding the issue again...
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP + Fedora Core
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

No I didn't realize that. This is strictly a user to user help forum. Just trying to point you in the proper direction to contact the developers.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

richardbaxter wrote:OpenOffice Presentation Package Developers
As Thomas pointed out, this is a user-to-user forum. Please have a look at the Survival guide before posting again.
richardbaxter wrote:Unfortunately the title "Impess" for the OpenOffice Presenation Package is not professional. In English, the word "Impress" implies a desire to show off - which might be the case for informal usage of OpenOffice Presentation Package, but is irrelevant and misleading for corporate usage of the OpenOffice Presentation Package. If OpenOffice is going to compete in the corporate world, it cannot accept the name "Impress"
I'm afraid there's little documented support for your interpretation of the word. I am a writer and editor, myself, and do not have that same impression of its meaning. Perhaps your usage is a regionalism, because impress is a perfectly respectable and acceptable word on its own; try looking up the meaning in as many different dictionaries as you can find. Here's one example:

impress. Dictionary.com. Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary. MICRA, Inc. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/impress (accessed: June 23, 2008).
http://dictionary.reference.com/cite.ht ... ia=web1913
http://snipurl.com/2nspf
richardbaxter wrote:I suggest changing the title "Impress" to "Present". This is also consistent with the other package names.
That might be a good suggestion except the word is ambiguous. The reader has little context in which to interpret it. Is it a noun (a gift, a time, or a tense?), an adjective (temporal interstice between past and future, or a state of being in a specified place at a point in time), or a verb (transitive, to make a gift of, to award to, to offer or show for consideration, to make a display of, to furnish; or intransitive, as a disease manifestation, or to make a presentation)?
richardbaxter wrote:(I tried logging this as an issue, and it was rejected. R Bircher suggested compiling a new version of Impress under a different name, but this is not required.
Not required by whom? Why not?
richardbaxter wrote:So where should a [marketing] issue for OpenOffice like this be lodged?
The OOo community offers several means for offering feedback and suggestions. This User Community board is for discussing how to use OOo in its current form.

You can search the IssueTracker, which is a direct line to QA and developers (but, based on your comments, my perception is that you've already tried that and for some reason that you have not divulged, the request was rejected; so that might no longer be an open avenue for this particular suggestion). Or you could join the Projects, which you can access from the OpenOffice.org home page, and there's also the wiki, which is a great information and collaboration tool.
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit