[Issue] "Group objects" when importing PowerPoint files

Discuss the presentation application
CybrMatt

[Issue] "Group objects" when importing PowerPoint files

Post by CybrMatt »

When trying to import some native PowerPoint presentations into impress 2.4, I'm seeing several slides that contain large white boxes spanning the slides vertically. When I click on them, it says "group object selected". These aren't visible when viewed in PowerPoint. I would post an example, but unfortunately the presentations are confidential.

Edit: the 3.0 Beta does the same. :(
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as issue.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: "Group objects" when importing PowerPoint files

Post by Villeroy »

Right-click>Group>Ungroup
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
CybrMatt

Post by CybrMatt »

Okayyyy, so I figured I could manually delete the objects, but I was more concerned with why they're appearing in the first place. It seems like a bug in the PowerPoint converter to me. It also looks like it has something to do with the drop-shadows behind the images, which don't seem to appear in the converted file.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Until a couple of months ago, binary formats .doc, .xls and .ppt were closed, so no specification available to design the filters. They've been made by reverse engineering, that's why they contain some flaws. That's why open standards only should be used!

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
CybrMatt

Post by CybrMatt »

No need to try to sell me on using standards; unfortunately the world most of my users live in have different ideas about what constitutes a "standard."

I'd hardly call this issue solved, but fortunately I found the bug tracker and successfully reported the problem:
http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=89969
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

CybrMatt wrote:I'd hardly call this issue solved, but fortunately I found the bug tracker and successfully reported the problem
Then, tag your thread as 'Issue', see section 5: [Tutorial] Reporting bugs.

I did it for you.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10