Replacing MS fonts in ooimpress

Discuss the presentation application
xadder

Replacing MS fonts in ooimpress

Post by xadder »

I just starting with ooimpress, and imported a .ppt file from MS Vista. The text is too large, and goes outside the area of the slide. I searched about and saw tips for replacing the font, here:

http://www.oooninja.com/2008/02/metrica ... -font.html

I tried to replace Calibri, with bitstream vera sans as suggested, from the tools -> option -> apply replacement fonts, but
nothing happens. I tried exiting the document and restarting, but the calibri fonts are still used. (I have already saved my file as .odf).

I need to get this presentation done today, so I am grateful for any tips for either doing this properly, or just globally changing all fonts sizes to be something smaller. I prefer not to use MS fonts though, and just need to end up with a .pdf I can use for giving my talk. Many thanks.
Phil
Volunteer

Re: Replacing MS fonts in ooimpress

Post by Phil »

Hi and welcome to the community!

It's strange that the replacement doesn't work.
Which version of OpenOffice on which operating system are you using?

As you are in a hurry, I would use a workaround for the time being.
The easiest thing I can think of is to go to each individual slide, hit ctrl-A (Edit > Select All) to mark all objects, and then choose the new font on the toolbar (or by Format > Character).

Another idea: Do you have to change the .ppt file or do you just want to make a PDF from it?
In the latter case, you can use PowerPoint Viewer 2003 or PowerPoint Viewer 2007 which allow displaying and printing of .ppt files.

HTH!
phil
OOo 3.0.1 & DEV-3.1 • WinXP pro 32-bit + SP3 + current patches
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
xadder

Post by xadder »

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the tips. I can use the select-all followed by formatting page by page as you suggest. Shame it can't be done for the whole document, but this will do for today.

I'm running OpenOffice 2.4 on an Ubunty Hardy system. (Hence the PowerPoint viewer 2007 from MS doesn't help. I'll search for a Linux equivalent though).

Thanks again,

Dave
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

Dave,
you're welcome!
xadder wrote:Shame it can't be done for the whole document
Yes, that's really a bit odd.
An alternative would be to use styles (F11 or Format > Styles and Formatting) and to redefine each style that is used in the presentation (right-click on style).
xadder wrote:I'll search for a Linux equivalent though.
Doesn't seem to be easy under Linux, unless you are using Wine, for which repositories are available at Linux App Finder.

BR, phil
OOo 3.0.1 & DEV-3.1 • WinXP pro 32-bit + SP3 + current patches
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP