Recommended JPEG sizes in Impress

Discuss the presentation application
mcbarrett

Recommended JPEG sizes in Impress

Post by mcbarrett »

Welcome beginner. Please answer all of the questions below which may provide information necessary to answer your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which version of OpenOffice.org are you using?2.3.1
What Operating System (version) are you using?Wondows XP
What is your question or comment?I want to keep my .jpg files as small as possible to minimize load time. I would like to have decent resolution on an LED slide projector. What are the recommended values for pixel x pixel resolution and .jpg compression?

My "as shot" photos are about 1.5 MB. When I reduce the image size to 900 x 1200 and save the compressed file at a "quality level" of 20, I get a 220 KB file. Am I giving up more quality than I need to?
squenson
Volunteer

Re: Recommended JPEG sizes in Impress

Post by squenson »

The size of a jpeg file depends on the quality, size and "complexity" of the image, as it is a method that compresses images by identifying patterns. A resolution of 96 dot/inch is good for a screen (people will not notice the difference) and satisfactory for a printed manual, where the resolution normaly is 200 dpi or higher.

I did a quick test with some images and a size of 200 kB is in the range of very good image for display.
LibreOffice 4.2.3.3. on Ubuntu 14.04