[Issue] Handout view in Exported PDF

Discuss the presentation application
GadgetSurplus

[Issue] Handout view in Exported PDF

Post by GadgetSurplus »

Is there a way to export PDF using the Handout view of Impress? I can see how to export the slides themselves. The notes can awkwardly be done by selecting the "export notes" option of the PDF export pop-up and then the Notes view comes as an add-on behind the slides. But I have not found a way to get the handout form (2-slides per page, for example).

Sorry if this has been covered before. A search of the forums or documentation could not seem to find the answer. I am using OO2.4 on Fedora Linux and XP/Vista/Tablet. I have an old Adobe Distiller print driver but find the export to PDF capability of OpenOffice much nicer to use.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as issue.
acknak

Re: Handout view in Exported PDF

Post by acknak »

No, not possible. The only form of output for the handout view is through File > Print. You can either use a "PDF printer", which you already know about, or use 'print to file' and then convert the Postscript output to PDF.

I've been quite happy so far with the results of the second method, using OOo on Linux, and ps2pdf to do the conversion, although I've never tried to do handouts that way.

PS: Here's the enhancement request: Issue 17387: PDF-export should support handouts, notes, etc (impress - WYSIWYG export to PDF).

You can register there and add a vote (up to two) or a comment.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
rct

Re: [Issue] Handout view in Exported PDF

Post by rct »

I just voted for this issue. I'm surprised it has received so little attention. Is there a work around that doesn't involve an external PDF converter that makes this a low priority?
acknak

Re: [Issue] Handout view in Exported PDF

Post by acknak »

No, it's the Himalayan mountain range of even more urgent things that need to be done.

When some issue limits our personal use of the software, the priority of everything else approaches zero. That's what open source people call "scratching your own itch". In an ideal open source project, you would jump in and contribute to fixing this issue because it would be useful to you. Unfortunately, with OOo, that is a very high hurdle: there just isn't a lot that we users can actually do to resolve an issue.

OTOH, the developers who do the work have to take a larger view and work on the things that have the biggest impact for the most number of users. They also have to weigh the impact against the time it would take to implement the change.

Actually, with 35 votes, this issue already has healthy support. There are only 132 issues with 35 or more votes.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23