[Issue] Slide Backdrop

Discuss the presentation application

[Issue] Slide Backdrop

Postby dj_bridges » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:45 am

I hope there is an easy solution to this, but I can't for the life of me find it. Essentially, my problem is that when writing slides in 'Normal' view, the backdrop behind the slides is far larger than what can be viewed i.e. the slide window is far larger than the slide it is showing. This shouldn't be a problem, except that when I want to advance / retreat a slide, in powerpoint I would just press the up or down arrow keys. Doing this with impress merely shifts my view further up or down the current slide / backdrop and even at the bottom / top of the backdrop doesn't change slides. This is very frustrating as I don't want to have to click with the mouse everytime I want to move from one slide to the next.

I don't know if this is standard in impress, but it appears to be from the screenshots I have seen (as judged by the page progress bars on the RHS of the backdrop and at the base of the backdrop). I have tried to find a way of shrinking the backdrop / only viewing the slide, but can't find anything.

I am running OOo 2.3 on PCLinuxOS 2008 Minime.

Hope I described the problem clearly....
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as issue.
dj_bridges

Re: Slide Backdrop

Postby acknak » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:54 pm

Yes, I agree. The current design is not really convenient for typical use.

See Issue 10931: Scroll mousewheel to change slides in Impress when editing and slide is fully shown in the window.

You can register there and add a vote (up to two) or a comment.

There's some interesting discussion about how Impress works and why; the conclusion is that nothing is likely to change anytime soon; there just aren't enough developer resources.

In the meantime, just learn to use PageUp/Down, or zoom the view all the way out (type - until the view doesn't change), then use the mouse wheel.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Re: Slide Backdrop

Postby dj_bridges » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:11 pm

Thanks for the reply acknak. Read through and added my own comment.

So the backdrop / space around a slide is called a wiese - you learn something new every day :D :D

Hope that OOo 3 incorporates this change. It is one of the first things (if not the main thing) that users migrating from impress find alien and awkward!
dj_bridges

Re: [Issue] Slide Backdrop

Postby acknak » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:22 pm

Maybe one of our German-speakers can help me out here, but I believe "wiese" here means "field" or "countryside".

OOo's roots are German--the development group is based in Hamburg--so it's common to find various mixtures of English and German.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Return to Impress