Disappearing Slide Text

Discuss the presentation application

Disappearing Slide Text

Postby George » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:31 am

I had a presentation to finish off from work so saved it onto a USB pendrive and worked on it in Impress. Added text to a couple of slides and finished off the notes.

Saved presentation again as .ppt

On opening again in Powerpoint nearly all the text has disappeared from the slides, although it is still there on the left hand side. All seems fine when it is first opened. But as soon as you click on or scroll past a slide with text on it, all the text disappears (on all the slides), except for those slides which also have an image on them - those seem (mostly, though not always) to be ok. The only text that remains is the title, and the title text is then repeated as a bullet point on the main part of the slide. Even though the text which used to be on the slide is still in the left hand menu, it doesn't display on the slide. Even on slides I didn't touch when editing in Impress. The notes pages I did alter are still intact.

What on earth's going on?

Have opened it again in Impress and the text is missing from the slides there now too.

Basically what is happening is that the main part of the slide is being replaced by the title text as you open the file.
George

Re: Disappearing Slide Text

Postby acknak » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:51 am

Did you see a warning that some information might be lost when saving your work in a document format other than ODF (.odp)? This is what that warning is referring to.

Granted, you should never lose text like you did, so there's likely a bug lurking there somewhere, but the bottom line is that compatibility with MS Office file formats is not perfect and you can lose formatting, text, or the whole file.

I recommend that people always save their work as ODF, and then save an extra copy in the MS format. If something goes badly, then you still have a safe copy of your work.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Postby George » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:55 pm

Thanks for your reply.

acknak wrote:Did you see a warning that some information might be lost when saving your work in a document format other than ODF (.odp)?

not that I remember, no.

acknak wrote:I recommend that people always save their work as ODF, and then save an extra copy in the MS format. If something goes badly, then you still have a safe copy of your work.

Do you mean this problem might be sporadic - if I try yo generate another MS copy from the ODF it might work fine? (I didn't save an ODF copy, so can't check myself). Unfortunately, most conference venues expect you to supply a MS copy. I know there is an add-on converter for Powerpoint, but they rarely have it installed.
George

Postby acknak » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:16 pm

Do you mean this problem might be sporadic - if I try yo generate another MS copy from the ODF it might work fine?

Sorry, no, I meant that any time you save your work in a format other than ODF, "bad things" can happen. Most of the time it works fine, but sometimes it doesn't. So all I'm saying is: always save your work as ODF--that's the safest possible move.

Now, if you need the file in another format, do an extra File > Save As and make a copy. If that file turns out to have a problem, you haven't lost your work, you can always go back to the good ODF file, make a change and try another export.

If all you have is a busted .ppt file, you're really stuck.

In general, moving presentations around is problematic, and it only gets worse when you have to move between different software. I always export a PDF version of my presentation as well, as a fall-back option. PDF won't handle animations or transitions, but at least the information is there and almost any place has a PDF reader.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Return to Impress