Handouts that include Notes

Discuss the presentation application
BillWoodard

Handouts that include Notes

Post by BillWoodard »

Is it possible to print handouts (with multiple slides per sheet) that include the notes? Ideally, I'd like about 5 rows per page, with a slide thumbnail on the left and notes on the right of each row. But any way of getting more than one slide+notes on a page would be useful. I found what appeared to be a solution in a 2004 mail message, but I can't see how to apply it to the current Impress. The mail was as follows:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 22:25:39 +0100
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Subject: [discuss] handouts for impress that include the notes

On Wednesday 04 August 2004 00:09, + William Kenworthy wrote:
> [ MODERATED ] ***********************
> Is it possible to print handouts for impress that include the notes? I
> am after 6 slides per page, with notes - I can get 6 per page but I cant
> find out how to get the notes there as well.

Hi Bill
You can do this by "Tools" -> "Options" and then in "Presentation" ->
"Print" and then select "Notes".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone can tell me how to do this, or the equivalent, in the current version of Impress, I'd greatly appreciate it.
acknak

Re: Handouts that include Notes

Post by acknak »

I don't think this is possible with Impress.

I'm not sure what the quoted message is suggesting. There was a major re-work of the Impress code for OOo 2, and some of the presentation features of OOo 1.x were not brought forward. That may be what's happened here: maybe you could do it at one time, but not now.

You can create a handout view that includes space for handwritten notes, but you can't create a notes view with more than one slide on the page.

As a workaround, you could use the standard notes view, print to a PostScript or PDF file, then use some other software to combine multiple pages per sheet of paper. Not very appealing, but possible.

I believe this is the relevant issue: Issue 63977: In "Handout" view, add "slide+notes" options, although there is some discussion as to the current scope. You can register there and add votes (up to two) or a comment.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
r4zoli
Volunteer

Post by r4zoli »

It will be possible in OOo 3.0, only 3 slide / page. You can try in OOo DEV300 m3 version, it is unstable and not usable for everyday use.
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
BillWoodard

Post by BillWoodard »

r4zoli wrote:It will be possible in OOo 3.0, only 3 slide / page. You can try in OOo DEV300 m3 version, it is unstable and not usable for everyday use.
DEV300 m3 prints 3 slides per page, but NOT with the notes belonging to each slide, just 7 blank lines in which users might manually write notes.

For a 100-slide presentation (not uncommonly large), the presenter needs a compact printout of slide thumbnails and their associated notes. But it seems insane to require him to print 100 pages of slide+notes.

I do, however, appreciate your response to my frustration. Thanks.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Sorry, Impress is immature in many ways, and some of what is there is not quite ready for prime time. There's little anyone here can do about it except to help you work with the software as it is, and point you to where you can register your support for dealing with productivity-stealing issues with the people that can do something about it: the developers. They already have way more work than they can possibly do, so only the highest-priority issues are dealt with in a timely fashion.

If this issue is a big a problem for you, then register and vote for the it, and/or try a DEV300 snapshot, or fix it yourself, or pay someone else to fix it (I agree: unrealistic and unusual, but it does happen).

There is also (nearly complete) a new "Presenter View" extension being developed, which will give the presenter a special screen to view while presenting. The presenter's screen will have a prominent place for the slide notes. In that case, there will be no need to print the notes and we can save even more paper.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23