[Solved] OOo saved PPT corrupted in MS Office

Discuss the presentation application
liweioo

[Solved] OOo saved PPT corrupted in MS Office

Post by liweioo »

Hi Guys..I am catching a deadline, but this happened unexpectedly, so I am a little crazy now... please give some hint, I appreciate it!!

I am in Ubuntu 10.04.. have been using OO 3.2 for almost one year, creating .ppt every week and it's been no problem for reading in windows office powerpoint... HOWEVER, just recently, I was doing a lot of diagram drawings into the file, and save as . ppt, windows powerpoint can no longer open it. It says 'powerpoint unable to display some images, objects, on the slides in the file, because they have become corrupted, affected slides have been replaced by blank slides in the presentation....'. And it turns out any slide with a little complicated drawing or object is blank, but slides with text or picture, or simple lines, rectangles, are still fine... plus, I can still open it with OO in ubuntu, no problem at all.

To check what happened, I opened some old .ppt files, which used to be readable in windows, they can no longer be read with MS powerpoint 2007.. It looks to me that some update might have happened, and changed something.. and if any object or drawing in each slide is larger than some level.. it can no more be displayed in powerpoint 2007...

I hope this is clear, and I am still very pissed, because I need those data as .ppt, and read by windows powerpoint... please give some ideas... thanks a lot !
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 3.2 on ubuntu 10.04
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: SOS (OO saved PPT corrupted in MS office)

Post by Villeroy »

May be a problem with MS Office:
[Solved] OOo saved PPT claimed "corrupt" by PowerPoint?

Online file converter: http://zamzar.com

You can save simple presentations as PDF and run them in a PDF reader.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
liweioo

Post by liweioo »

Villeroy.. thanks for your reply.. unfortunately the link you provided does not help.. I also tried the zamzar.com, it failed saying there was a problem during the conversion.. Do you have other suggestions ? a possible re-install oo ?
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I have no idea what a re-install should change, particularly on a Linux system. If there is anything broken then it is broken in the user profile ~/.openoffice.org/3/user/ which can be renamed after closing the office and created newly from scratch when loading.
Most likely there is something in your odp file which does not translate well to ppt.
Version 3.3 is rather mature, yet not finished though.
http://download.openoffice.org/all_rc.html
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

If you had worked in native ODF (.odp), you could have checked what was really remaining in the file. Since you use .ppt (import/export filters have been reverse engineered), there is not much to do. Can you upload the file so that we try with another version of MS PowerPoint?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
liweioo

Re: OOo saved PPT corrupted in MS Office

Post by liweioo »

Thanks to both for replies, attached is only one slide of my file I saved as .ppt from oo in ubuntu, still, can not be read in windows office powerpoint 2007.
Please check it out and please let me know what it turns out to you. Thanks !
Attachments
for test .ppt
(99.5 KiB) Downloaded 371 times
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Reads OK for me on OOo 3.3 RC7 Ubuntu 10.10.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
liweioo

Post by liweioo »

RoryOF, thanks.. so it just does not work in win2007 ?
liweioo

Post by liweioo »

Thanks.. guys.. I think I solve it... open it with office 2003 first, next save, then no problem open it with 2007... Thanks to all...
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] OOo saved PPT corrupted in MS Office

Post by Hagar Delest »

I confirm it opens fine on MS PowerPoint 2003. Same problem than the other thread linked by Villeroy above.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Omar

Re: [Solved] OOo saved PPT corrupted in MS Office

Post by Omar »

I've posted a more in-depth analysis of the problem and its cause in the following thread
Microsoft patch breaks Impress/PowerPoint compatibility
OOo 3.2.1 Solaris 10 / OOo 3.2.1 OS X