Video in presentations

Discuss the presentation application
katormes

Video in presentations

Post by katormes »

I have prepared a presentation in OO and inserted videos from different sources on the Internet. The presentation has been saved as .ppt. When I give the presentation with PowerPoint the videos are no longer attached to the presentation, although they still are in the same folder as the presentation. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to manage this?
OpenOffice 3.1 Windows 7 starter
johe

Re: Video in presentations

Post by johe »

Got similar problems including videos and sounds into my presentation. each time reopening the presentation those videos and sound were gone and i had to reestablish the links, no matter if i tried to save the file in ppt or odp. the original video and sound files are in the same folder, but i hoped they would be included into the impress-file. this apparently is not the case.how can i guarantee that all elements of my presentation stay in the saved presentation file for transport?
OpenOffice 3.2.0 on MacOS 10.6.5
KevinMerrifield

Post by KevinMerrifield »

I have run into the same problem. Personally, I think that its a bug in Impress. I can import video files just fine in Impress, view the slideshow and everything shows up great. When I attempt to then open the same file in Microsoft PowerPoint viewer all of the videos disappear. :crazy: In my case I was making a PowerPoint presentation for school and the issue was utterly annoying. I knew that my teacher would only have PowerPoint to view the document. The only work-a-round that I found was to import the video into the PowerPoint using Microsoft PowerPoint 2010. I really don't want to be forced to use Microsoft products, I want to stick it to the man :fist: . I would much rather use Impress and have everything work accordingly. I really hope that the folks who work on Open Office can solve this issue. :super:
Windows XP
Open Office 3.3
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Why don't you want to use MS products when they work so much better for you? Since you are running Windows XP there should be no serious reason to not run MS Office. Mere partisanship is childish.
Is it really so hard to grasp that Impress does not embed video formats?
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
KevinMerrifield

Well, the primary reason is that MS Office costs $100.00 and Impress is free. It is an open-source alternative not hell bent on capitalistic domination. Even though I am an American, I vehemently oppose capitalism, and product that propagate it. I want products like Open Office to replace MS Office. I want free and public access for everyone. I want the gestapo to be toppled. It is not mere childish partisanship, it is a collision of ideology. It is the vomit feeling that churns in my stomach from the mere thought of anyone generating revenue off of my needs.

Prior to making this posting, I was not aware that Impress does not embed video formats, even though it appears to do so inside of Impress. I hope that the folks who work on Open Office can rectify this problem, as it would certainly be in their best interests to do so. How is Open Office supposed to ever replace MS Office if it can't do everything that MS Office can do. And, if the intent of Open Office is not to completely replace MS Office, then why is it in business? In business one of your primary objectives is to remove all competition. It already undercuts MS Office on price, it should undercut it as well in functionality.

One more thing, I see that you use Unbutu (an open-source, Linux/Unix based distribution) and Open Office 3.3. Why do you not use Microsoft Window 7 and Microsoft Office 2010 if you don't have at least some of the same feelings that I do? :lol:
Last edited by KevinMerrifield on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows XP
Open Office 3.3
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Thanks to this office suite they removed the copy protection ("genuine advantage") from their latest office version. Simply steal their product and be happy.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/microsof ... ogram/2798
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
KevinMerrifield

Nice suggestion. ;)

However, I would rather Open Office just beat MS Office outright, so that I didn't have to lower my own moral standard. I understand that in some cases thievery may be necessary, however, I don't feel that it should be utilized as a primary solution. Also, the article merely points out that one can now download add-ins or templates without the fear of validating their copy of MS Office. At no point did the article indicate that one could download the entire MS Office application, for free, without fear of reprisal from Microsoft.
Windows XP
Open Office 3.3
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You could run OpenOffice Portable from your USB key, along with your .odp presentation and associated videos, which you would need to prepare to run from the key.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I created one presentation in 20 years, so I can not give any advice about presentation documents. Does the PowerPoint file you export to contain any reference to the external movie? Can you play the presentation with the movie when the movie is in the same path relative to the original Impress file?

Since this is free software it should be possible to put the movie, the presentation and the whole application on an USB stick and run your Impress presentation on any Windows system without installing this office suite.
That is http://portableapps.com/apps/office/lib ... e_portable
Hint: For performance and data integrity reasons you should copy the user data (presentation and movie) to the local disk before you load them into the USB application.
KevinMerrifield wrote:At no point did the article indicate that one could download the entire MS Office application, for free, without fear of reprisal from Microsoft.
In former times I borrowed an install disk from my neigbour and applied some commonly known tricks with tweaked ID numbers, registry entries and stuff.
KevinMerrifield

I see an understand your work-around. Unfortunately, in my case I had to upload the completed PowerPoint onto a message board for school. My instructors have to be able to open the PowerPoint inside of MS PowerPoint. They will not view the file as part of a USB application. They will not even download Open Office to appease me. It is part of the rules and regulations of my school that any and all files that I create must be compatible with MS Office products. I'm actually only supposed to use MS Office, but I don't have the money to buy it. So, instead I use Open Office and simply watch the way that format my documents. If my instructors aren't able to open the document then I don't get credit.

Does Open Office Portable embed audio and video files into a PowerPoint created in Impress? As I've just found out, Impress from the Open Office 3.3 suite does not. Microsoft PowerPoint 2010, from the MS Office 2010 suite, does embed imported audio and video files. If Open Office Portable 3.2 does then I certainly will download it.
Windows XP
Open Office 3.3
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Not that I know. You need to acquire MS Office.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

So this is just another demonstration of MS dominance in the USA. There is really nothing which could be done about it. Alternatives exist, there are plenty of work-arounds for various problems, but there can never be a perfect clone of MS Office. Please use MS Office to create PowerPoint presentations with embedded movies or find out how to run a *.ppt with a linked movie (given that Impress preserves the link during conversion to ppt).
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I have no knowledge of the detail of the current releases of LibreOffice, but I vaguely remember that one of the objectives was the improvement of Impress to give better video/sound handling. it might be worth looking at, unless someone posts to say it is not yet sufficiently PowerPoint compatible.
JHM

[SOLVED] Saving embedded videos in Impress

Post by JHM »

When I had videos embedded in slides in an Impress presentations and saved the file, and then re-opened the presentation file I found that none of my embedded videos had been saved, even though they were in the same folder as my photos, text slides and videos. The problem was resolved when I discovered that I needed to save the presentations in ODP format, not PPT format.
OpenOffice 3.3 on Windows XP
canyoncity

Post by canyoncity »

NOPE - too clunky and unpredictable to use videos with audio in the OpenOffice presentation program - have to either abandon the videos, or give up OO in favor of Power Point it seems. A real shame, since the presentations is the main purpose I use OO for - guess the old saying, "you get what you PAY for" still holds true!
open office version 4.1.2
windows 10 pro 64 bit
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I use video in my presentations quite regularly, always using my own laptop to present, having worked and saved the file in Impress format.
canyoncity

Post by canyoncity »

NOPE,don't plan to switch my OS, then go thru agony of potential issues with my various other programs - some of which THEN won't run on the new OS, JUST to get OpenOffice Presentations to run using videos - FAR easier and less traumatic to simply bite the bullet, and get Power Point that WILL work, and not have to deal with potential problems with other installed software...
windows 10 pro 64 bit
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It's your choice.
canyoncity

Post by canyoncity »

YUP - JUST as it's OO's choice whether or not to more fully support their software and existing customers by upgrading their software to more fully compete with Microsoft's stuff (isn't that what they're actually trying to do?)...

I've financially contributed in the past for my use of OO - and would continue to do so in the future - but NOT if circumstances cause me to abandon OO in favor of a better, and more expensive software.

Video in presentations isn't a mere, small "bell and whistle", as can be seen in posts from other users with the same issue - and simply advising current users essentially to "buzz off if you don't like it", is NOT very good public relations, nor does it stimulate customer support...
windows 10 pro 64 bit