[Issue] Slide Show is not displayed in fullscreen mode

Discuss the presentation application
gszasz

[Issue] Slide Show is not displayed in fullscreen mode

Post by gszasz »

If I try to run Slide Show in Default mode (full screen), it does not do virtually anything. Most of the functions in the application window are blocked, as expected when Slide Show is running; however, no Slide Show is actually displayed. It works properly in Window mode.

I've also noticed that the application window is unable to save its position and size anymore (after I tried to run a Slide Show in that defected Default mode). It seems that this bug messed something up in my user configuration files, as far as it works properly for users that had never tried to run presentation in Default mode on my computer.

I've never had this problem in version 2.2. It has appeared with first upgrade to 2.3 and still remains unsolved in 2.4.

Distribution: Debian Sid
Desktop Environment: Gnome
Window Manager: Enlightenment
Display Driver: NVidia (proprietary)
Monitors: two screens (2x 1280x1024) in NVidia TwinView mode (maybe possible cause of this issue?)
acknak

Re: [Issue] Slide Show is not displayed in fullscreen mode

Post by acknak »

You may need to rename (or remove) your OOo user profile (settings) directory. The standard location is ~/.openoffice2

I would try running the system with 1) a single-monitor configuration, and 2) the standard x.org video driver, to see if either of those makes a difference. Sorry, I don't know off the top of my head how to set that up, but you should be able to make a temporary change in the xorg.conf file to get a different configuration without totally reconfiguring everything.

You may also want to try the OOo packages downloaded from OO.org. Sometimes the distro-provided packages have changes that break things that work in the upstream release. Maybe this is easier to try first, rather than fiddling with your X setup.

I believe that multi-monitor support in Impress first appeared in 2.3, so it may well be the source of the trouble.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
gszasz

Post by gszasz »

Unfortunately this is not the case. I've spent too much time configuring TwinView and I need X Server to behave like this for my work. I'd like to point out that the basic two screen setup is not enough for me because I need to run accelerated graphics on both of them. I don't have enough time to download and install OpenOffice.org packages directly, thus I always have to rely on Debian repositories. The most important thing is that it worked fine before, it stopped working and it has never started to work again. I wrote this post because it seems that nobody is going to fix this annoying bug.
acknak

Post by acknak »

I wrote this post because it seems that nobody is going to fix this annoying bug.
If that is your goal then, sorry, but you've written to the wrong place. Bugs are filed at http://qa.openoffice.org.

Have you read the Forum Survival Guide?

We are just volunteer users, not customer service, nor developers. All we can do is to help you try to find a workaround, or to clearly diagnose the problem so that you can file a bug report that is more likely to be resolved.

As far as I can see, a report of your problem would have two strikes against it: first, it requires a specific X configuration, and second, you're running "downstream" packages which may have code changes relative to the OO.org releases. If you require that the developers resolve those two strikes, they are likely to never get around to working on it.

On the other hand, if you invest some time to be able to say that the OO.org code fails in this specific way ... under these specific conditions ..., then there is a greater chance that the developers can focus on the code they are responsible for and fix the problem.

If you don't have time to do that, well then there's no time. Just file your report and maybe something will happen.
gszasz

Post by gszasz »

I really appreciate that you spend so much time explaining me what did I wrong and what I'm supposed to do. However, your deduction about actual purpose of my post is wrong. Before submitting an official bug report I needed to know how many users experienced the same problem like me. I needed to know whether it's just a coincidence of specific circumstances (which are, honestly, not so specific), or it's just caused by one of them. This would allow me to guess actual relevance of this bug and it would let me to discover more details about it. That's something I cannot do myself but community can.

Being a high school student I would immediately try official packages under several Linux distributions and I would play with X server configuration. I would try to compare NVidia and ATI proprietary dual screen technologies to understand it's influence on OpenOffice.org Impress slide show in full screen mode. Maybe I would even try to check it out in source code and fix it myself as I did many times during my high school and undergraduate studies.

Now I know that my configuration is too specific and it was never repeated by any other community member. That's exactly a kind of information I was looking for. But anyway, thank you all for your patience and politeness. That's starting to be rare in open source community.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Sorry we couldn't get any closer to a solution. Thanks for explaining the situation.