Impress Memory Using HUGE amounts of Memory

Discuss the presentation application
Longboarderd

Impress Memory Using HUGE amounts of Memory

Post by Longboarderd »

I'm running OOO 2.3.0 on Ubuntu 7.10 (it's the Ubuntu version).

I recently made a presentation with Impress, that's not too complex. Black background, with text only on 1/2 the slides and one picture per slide on the remaining 1/2. I have the 'Fade Smooth' transition set for each slide and an automatic slide transition time of 15 sec. There are 49 slides total.

After I finish running this presentation, I noticed that 88% of my memory was being used (I have 1GB installed). This is quite a lot, because I rarely go above the 50% mark in normal usage. When I closed Impress, the memory usage dropped to 27%.

I know there is talk about a memory leak. So I was wondering if there is a way around this, or if installing a different version of Impress will fix this.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dustin
EdH
Volunteer

Re: Impress Memory Using HUGE amounts of Memory

Post by EdH »

Could you upload the presentation for others to try? It may be an Ubuntu specific issue.
OOoSVN - Version control for OOo documents under Unix
LibreOffice on Arch Linux
acknak

Post by acknak »

The leak I had like that is now fixed in the latest developer snapshot from OO.org. I suggest you just wait it out until an update to OOo 2.4 comes out, either from Ubuntu or from OO.org. The OO.org release is due next week; I imagine Ubuntu will follow fairly soon after that. OTOH, if the leak is causing you serious problems, you could always try a developer snapshot.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Longboarderd

Post by Longboarderd »

Here's the file. I'll also be sure to check out the newest release when it comes out. It's not causing serious problems for me, but if I was running a continuous slideshow, I'm sure it would max out both my memory and swap pretty quick. I was just a little concerned/surprised and wanted to see if others had experienced something similar.

Thanks,

Dustin

EDIT: it doesn't look like the upload took. I'll try again later today.

EDIT 2: I can't get the file to upload. When I go the the attachment tab at the bottom of the post menu and click to add the file, it says 'sending request...' and I let it go until it finishes, but there is no file actually added to the post. Sorry