Impress fails to display graphics

Discuss the presentation application
mfaynberg

Impress fails to display graphics

Post by mfaynberg »

Hello everyone!
I am using a StarOffice 8 on a WinXP computer. Recently I opened one of the old presentations and found out that one of the pictures is missed - only the picture icon is there. I made sure that MS Powerpoint still displays it correctly.
What could be the reason for that?
The presentation (reduced to a single slide) can be downloaded using the following link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?nmknt9dvbwp

Thank you in advance,
Mike
acknak

Re: Impress fails to display graphics

Post by acknak »

I think you're going to have to provide the sample file in the original ODF format. It's very difficult to "debug" a .ppt file.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
r4zoli
Volunteer

Post by r4zoli »

I opend it in ppt viewer in WinXP it works but the main picture cannot shows, if I saved to odp the picture gone away.
Ithink the inserted picture too big to render by OOo, my computer has 2GB ram and not show one slide, in the main time the ppt file size 3MB, the saved odp 33 kb, it shows the picture not inside.
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
mfaynberg

Post by mfaynberg »

Thank you acknak and 44zoli,

The thing is the ppt is the original format for this file... As soon as I save this 3MB file in the odp format, the size of it becomes 30 kB, which suggests to me that the picture is definitely not saved.
When I save a picture right from the ppt file, the picture file size shows something like 800 kB. Is that too big for Impress? What limitations are imposed on the pictures Impress can handle at all - size-wise and type-wise?

Thanks,
Mike
acknak

Post by acknak »

There are no limits on image size in Impress. I just tested a 4.1mb (1664x1328) PNG and a 39mb (12756x3487) JPEG with no problems other than some slowness.

I can only guess that the image is in a format that OOo can't handle. It's possible that the "image" is actually an OLE object, which requires some other application (like Photoshop or Corel Draw) to be available before it will display. That would also account for the large file size.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

acknak wrote:It's possible that the "image" is actually an OLE object, which requires some other application (like Photoshop or Corel Draw) to be available before it will display.
That hits the nail right on the head. :)
It is in fact a Corel PhotoPaint graph. I tested it on a PC where I have PowerPoint and PhotoPaint available.

I tried to save it to other formats with PowerPoint, but also that doesn't work.
After all, it is astonishing that PowerPoint (and even the viewer) can render it without PhotoPaint being installed.

Anyway, I don't see a solution to this problem. If you have PowerPoint available, you can cut out the image and paste it again in a different format.
Or even better, if you have PhotoPaint available, paste the graphs again directly to Impress with Paste Special as bitmap.

In earlier times, I worked a lot with PowerPoint and PhotoPaint graph objects, and even then it always pasted the graphics in bitmap format because PhotoPaint objects led to high file sizes and often also led to problems with formatting etc.

KR, phil
OOo 3.0.1 & DEV-3.1 • WinXP pro 32-bit + SP3 + current patches
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP