Saving as .ppt and opening with Microsoft Powerpoint

Discuss the presentation application
Solidfire

Saving as .ppt and opening with Microsoft Powerpoint

Post by Solidfire »

My friend had to do a project and she didn't have microsoft powerpoint on her computer, so i told her to download openoffice and use impress, save the file as .ppt and it should work at school using microsoft powerpoint. But, that wasn't the case..she could not open the file using microsoft powerpoint. The schools computer uses XP and not vista. Does anyone know why it will not open in microsoft powerpoint?
Solidfire

Re: Saving as .ppt and opening with Microsoft Powerpoint

Post by Solidfire »

fixed it. the check box was checked beneath save as type
acknak

Post by acknak »

OOo Impress can save in Powerpoint binary format; I've never heard of Impress creating a .ppt file that could not even be opened by Powerpoint.

My guess is that she saved the file, and entered the file name as "something.ppt", which OOo will actually save as "something.ppt.odp". The name looks right, but the file itself is an ODF presentation file, not a Powerpoint file. But that's just a guess.

You have to do FIle > Save As, then enter a name (with no suffix) and set the file type to: MS Powerpoint 97/2000/XP (.ppt), then OK.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
dkaufman1

Post by dkaufman1 »

I have built a .odp (Impress) file that is pretty simple. (no animations, no transparency, no sound) Slides with images, a master slide - pretty standard fare. I can save as PPT file format from OO2.3.1 on Vista but can't open the file in PowerPoint on Win2K or WinXP. Even odder I can upload the PPT file to Google Docs and it looks fine except for a single graphic in the upper left corner on the Master slide.

Of course I can't share this file...but I have been able to replicate/duplicate the issue again and again.