Performance issue with Impress: please test

Discuss the presentation application
chromium

Performance issue with Impress: please test

Post by chromium »

I have a serious performance issue with Impress, which is so neatly reproducible on my system that I already submitted it as an issue. (http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=86363). Impress does use an increasing amount of processor resources. At one point, processor usage is over 90% all the time, which causes very poor system performance and lack of response. Obviously, presentation animations become extremely jerky.

I would like to see if this behaviour can be confirmed in different platforms. For me, it occurs in Ubuntu 7.10 with the Ubuntu version of OOo (
 Edit: 2.3 
). May I ask to anyone who feels like to run the test I outlined in the issue? You can download a small presentation there. What you need to do is to load a graphical system monitoring utility, then load the presentation in Impress, then repeat the following action several times: run the presentation (press F5, then presentation runs automatically, on the black screen "Click to exit presentation" do just that, then wait 10-15 seconds and repeat the presentation. If your system is like mine, you see that in System monitor, you are making hills (corresponding with the presentation) that each time go higher just as if you were heading to the Mount Everest over the mountains. Obviously, here it stops at 100% processor usage.

Please report back, including some system specs (processor and total memory) so I can pin it down to either a personal system issue (would surprise me with a recent Dell), an Ubuntu distro, a Linux issue or a general problem with OOo.
 Edit:  I included the URL of the issue 
Last edited by chromium on Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acknak

Re: Performance issue with Impress: please test

Post by acknak »

Sounds an awful lot like this:
Growing CPU usage in Impress, or this:
Slide Show timing increases.

There's also an issue linked in those threads.

So far, testing with 2.4rc1, the problem seems to be gone.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
chromium

Post by chromium »

It is indeed very similar to these issues. I see that I have misplaced this thread in the Writer forum. Could you please move it to the Impress forum?
acknak

Post by acknak »

Good catch! I didn't even notice. Bad mod! No biscuit!

Moved to Impress forum.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Ok, I've tried your high_processor.odp test a couple of times now, and I don't see any trend of increasing CPU usage.
chromium

Post by chromium »

It would be good news if the issue is not there anymore in 3.0. (My Ubuntu version is 2.3, not 3.0 as I wrongly mentioned in my first post.)