[Solved] "insert file" function does not work

Discuss the presentation application
Dreambuilder98

[Solved] "insert file" function does not work

Post by Dreambuilder98 »

When I try to insert files from a power point presentation, all I get are blank slides on my new document. I've tried every option on the insert file command - I get the appropriate number of blank slides added to my presentation, but no info.

Ideas?

Thanks much!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
Hagar Delest

Re: "insert file" function does not work

Post by Hagar Delest »

Please read the Survival Guide for the forum. What OS? What OOo version?
What do you want to insert? A slide or an embedded object?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Dreambuilder98

Post by Dreambuilder98 »

Using Window XP
OO version 2.3.1

trying to import simple text only, black background song lyrics slides, created in PPT
acknak

Post by acknak »

Not sure what to suggest. It works for me, using 2.3.1 on Fedora Linux, inserting slides into a new blank presentation from an old PPT document.

Have you tried starting with a new blank presentation? Just do File > New > Presentation > Create, then File > Insert. Does that work?

What happens if you File > Open the PPT?

Can you cut/paste the slides into your Impress document?

Can you post the PPT document you're having trouble with? Try cutting it down to a few slides--if that still gives you the same trouble, then post it here and we can give it a shot.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Dreambuilder98

Post by Dreambuilder98 »

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas acnak.

I can open the ppt files just fine, they view, edit, and behave just as created in power point.

When I insert file, I get the correct number of slides transfered, with nothing on the slides. No background, no text.

Same thing happens when I cut and past - it acts as if its bringing in the slide, but nothing shows.

To add a twist, I was able to view the song lyrics on the "outline" view, but not in any other view, nor was I able to edit.

I'm brand new to open office, and I get the feeling I'm missing a setting somewhere - the program seems to work just fine, but I'm not getting something right!

I've attached an Impress file after I inserted one song.
OO with one file imported.odp
(11.05 KiB) Downloaded 332 times
Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it.
acknak

Post by acknak »

I don't think the Impress document is going to help--all I can tell you is: "It's empty", but you already know that. Can you attach the Powerpoint file, or a small part of it, that gives you the problem? Then others can try inserting it to see if we all see the same problem, or if it's something specific to your system.
Dreambuilder98

Post by Dreambuilder98 »

Sorry...I misunderstood your request.

Here is an example of the files I've been working with. They're all very similar:
All For You-vv.ppt
(35.5 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
acknak

Post by acknak »

Ok, I think we've got it. Open the first presentation you attached--the .odp file. Format > Page > Background > Fill = Color, choose black or some other dark color. OK

Do you see the text from your inserted slides now?

They're all there, they simply use white text on a white background.

The first slide of the .odp file is completely empty, and that threw me off: I tried Ctrl+A there to see if there was anything at all on the slide and got nothing. I neglected to try that again on the other slides.

You can always choose your own color scheme of course, but if you use a font color of "Automatic" OOo will choose either black or white for the text color: black text for light backgrounds, white text for dark.
Dreambuilder98

Post by Dreambuilder98 »

SWEET! :D

Thanks a ton.

So it looks to me like the global background setting overrides the imported file background. I kept seeing the notice that source formating was going to be saved, I thought that would include the background as well.

I can certainly work with this...just change the background to black before I import files, and good to go!

Thanks again!

Darren