[Issue] Control avi video during slideshow?

Discuss the presentation application
nienberg

[Issue] Control avi video during slideshow?

Post by nienberg »

I've been able to insert some avi files into Impress and they start playing automatically when the slide opens. Is there any way to control this? I'd like options to start and stop the video while the slide is showing. It would also be nice to make it loop continuously.

Thanks,
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Issue (link to a bug report).
LibreOffice 3.4.3
Windows XP, Windows 7, and MacOS X 10.7
acknak

Re: control avi video?

Post by acknak »

Sorry, no.

It has been requested: Issue 41378: videos can't be started/stopped during presentation with jmf

You can register there and add your vote (up to two) or comment.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
nienberg

Re: [Issue] Control avi video during slideshow?

Post by nienberg »

Something odd I've noticed. I inserted the same avi file onto two different slides. In slideshow mode, one of the videos loops and the other does not. If I could figure out what is controlling that it would help me a lot. I'm not aware that I did anything different when I inserted them.

Thanks,
LibreOffice 3.4.3
Windows XP, Windows 7, and MacOS X 10.7
Gracie

Post by Gracie »

I need to re-open a portion of this discussion....looping a video

I want to loop a 5-minute silent movie / .avi video to show as people assemble for a talk I'm giving at a convention. 3 loops would do it. 4 would be safer. Or just continuous.

To make it simple, I'm willing to create a separate Impress presentation just for the looped video. And a second one for my presentation.

I'm also wondering if nienberg figured out how this happened ... and what loop settings he may have used that caused the video to loop even accidentally.
nienberg wrote:Something odd I've noticed. I inserted the same avi file onto two different slides. In slideshow mode, one of the videos loops and the other does not. If I could figure out what is controlling that it would help me a lot. I'm not aware that I did anything different when I inserted them.
I've also studied a discussion about looping an entire SLIDE presentation, but that technique did not apply to the video.

Thanks very much.
OpenOffice 4.1.4 on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Gracie wrote:I want to loop a 5-minute silent movie / .avi video to show as people assemble for a talk I'm giving at a convention. 3 loops would do it. 4 would be safer. Or just continuous.
1. Ignore Impress and just use a Windows video player set to loop

2. Remember that you can convert video formats (eg avi to mp3) on-line; or by downloading a converter. Do other formats loop in Impress?

3. Create an avi file by stitching 4 copies of the video together. It will now "loop" even though it is actually a single play :-)

4. Place 4 copies of the avi in a folder as 1.avi, 2.avi, 3.avi and 4.avi. Tell the video player to play all files in the folder.

5. Create a 4 slide presentation where each slide plays the video.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Gracie

Post by Gracie »

Outside the box...I love it. Actually, #3 did occur to me after I submitted my question. But #5 did not - and it would be equally easy. Followed by #4.

Big thanks.
OpenOffice 4.1.4 on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Gracie wrote:Outside the box...I love it.
You presented this as a classic XY Problem.

You want to do X (play a video on a loop) but you cannot. You come up with a solution Y (use Impress to do it) which you find does not quite work and is probably not a good idea. You then ask for help to fix Y (how do I get Impress to do it?).

It is always far better to say "I want to do X ..." (play a video on a loop) and ask for help on X. That way we can consider all your options without getting drawn down the possible (and often probable) dead end of Y - see The XY problem.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.