[Issue] Save presentation with sound for other computer

Discuss the presentation application
bobwitte

[Issue] Save presentation with sound for other computer

Post by bobwitte »

Hello everyone,

I have a simple question but i can't find the answer. How can I save a presentation with sound. So if i open it on a other computer the sound is also there. I made the presentation on a Mac and tried it on a windows but the sound is not there. I use Open Office 3.1.1 on both computers. Please help me because i'm going crazy with such a simple question. :crazy:

Thank you so much for the reply.

Bob
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Issue] (link to a bug report).
OpenOffice 3.1.1
acknak

Re: Save presentation with sound for other computer

Post by acknak »

OOo does not embed the audio files in the presentation file; they are only referenced as separate files. You have copy both the presentation document file, and any sound files it references, to the other computer. You should no thave to change anything to get the presentation to work on another computer, as long as both the presentation and any referenced sounds are available and in the same relative locations on both systems.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
bobwitte

Post by bobwitte »

I remember that it worked that way with powerpoint. So i saved the whole folder inclusive sound to my usb stick, it played the presentation but without sound. Maybe it is the problem of the windows computer. Thank you so much for your reply.

Bob
OpenOffice 3.1.1
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The first test is to take a sound file on its own and see if the target Windows computer can play it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
bobwitte

Post by bobwitte »

The audio file plays on the windows computer with Itunes. I'll send the file also to another friend and she also did'nt have audio (she is also using a mac). She has to search the audio and put it in again. But I have to give it on school to my teacher so he is going to see it with sound. So any suggestions. Thank you so much for helping me out. I really appreciate it.

Bob
OpenOffice 3.1.1
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

One possible answer is to install Java Media Framework (JMF) appropriate to your operating system. This installs OK on Windows and worked well for me with mpg Video clips, playing them and their integral sound track OK. I never got it to work on two Ubuntu 9.10 installations - I haven't had the time to follow up and debug my installs on those two systems.

Another possible answer (for video clips), but possibly by extension for sound clips, is to install some of the media codec libraries available for download. This bulldozer approach is frowned upon by purists, but I've seen it work on other windows machines.
 Edit: I think your best approach, if you have time, is to obtain a working presentation using sound (and its sound file) from the school computer and to concentrate on geting that to work on your Mac. This is probably a case of having the correct Codecs installed (Google is your friend for this). Then using a similar format sound file you can proceed to finalise your presentation. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10