Screen fit for widescreen

Discuss the presentation application
necokop

Screen fit for widescreen

Post by necokop »

Hi,

I have widescreen laptop. When I start slideshow, it displays black borders on left/right sides. Is there any way to set slideshow background from black to something else, so that I can get full screen without stretching?

Thanks.

N
Hagar Delest

Re: Screen fit for widescreen

Post by Hagar Delest »

Not sure about that but if OOo displays the full slide (that would be rather logical), many chances that as the slide is with a standard ratio, it fits only vertically, leaving black borders on both sides. Like a 16/9 movie on your 4/3 TV set but the opposite way (horizontal black borders).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

I believe Hagar is exactly right. Impress will scale your slide to give you the best possible fit to the screen it is displayed on. If your slide size has an aspect that is "taller" than the screen, then there will be extra room at the sides.

You can change the page aspect in Impress from Format > Page > Page > Height, Width.

The default is 11.02" x 8.27" (28 x 21 cm), which is a 4:3 width:height aspect. The actual width and height don't matter so much as the aspect: the width compared to the height.

Here's what I wrote over here [oooforum.org]:
Format > Page >
  • Orientation = Landscape
    Width = 16"
    Height = 9"
should work just fine (although the default font sizes will be too small).

You can use Width = 11", Height = 6.19" for something closer to a normal size slide.

I guess there really should be a "Widescreen" slide format added to Impress.

PS: Ok, it has been requested: Issue 81715: RFE: 16:10 widescreen page format

And that prompted me to check the "16:10". It seems that is the standard widescreen laptop ratio, not 16:9. So you can use 16" x 10" or 11" x 6.88" to exactly fit your laptop screen.

You can follow that link and vote for that issue or add a comment (registration required)
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
necokop

Post by necokop »

Yes, actually those are right behavior in my opinion too, but not very practical. Because when you make it fullscreen, there are black parts on left and right, which is not reasonable at all. When you change width and height of the document, then it stretches, which is also not good.

What I see as a solution is to be able to change the black background color to any color we want, so that it displays everything correctly. I.e if my slides have a blue background, I should be able to set those 'black' areas also to 'blue' so that they look like a part of slides.

N.
acknak

Post by acknak »

When you change width and height of the document, then it stretches, which is also not good.
What parts "stretch"?

Your suggestion will work only when you have a presentation using a single color background. Black works with anything ;-)

I can see where it would be a nice option, e.g. to paint the whole screen with either
• a user-selected color or pattern, or
• whatever the slide background is

I think it would also slow things down compared to black, which could be a problem.

If you want to file an enhancement request, you can register and do that here: Open Office Quality Assurance - Report Bugs
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23