Thumbnails don't Appear In Notes

Discuss the presentation application
johnl

Thumbnails don't Appear In Notes

Post by johnl »

Initially, thumbnails sometimes will appear in Notes view, but eventually, they don't. I have no idea why. They don't appear, either, when I print off the notes. I have to manually scribble in the slide content on each notes page so that I know where I am during the presentation. Anyone encounter this, and have a fix?

John

PS--this occurs when I save it as an .odp file and as a .ppt file. I need to save it as a .ppt file to access it on computers in the classrooms where I teach.
acknak

Re: Thumbnails don't Appear In Notes

Post by acknak »

Have you read the Forum Survival Guide?

What OS and OOo version are you using?

Are you talking about the screen view, or on a printout?

I've not noticed the problem, but I don't use the handout view a lot.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
johnl

Post by johnl »

Sorry, yes, I have read it. Just forgot.

I'm on a networked computer at work using Windows XP, and at home on a machine using Windows ME. On both machines I'm using OOo 2.3.1.

I'm talking about the Notes view. I click on the Notes tab to enter my notes, and there should, it seems, be a thumbnail view of the slide in the top part of the page, above where I type my notes, and in fact on some slides some of the time this is exactly what I see. In some presentations, though, there are no thumbnails; in others, one or two (out of 10 or more) might be missing.

In any case, I'm not using the handout view, but the Notes view.

Thanks,

John
acknak

Post by acknak »

Sorry, know you said "notes" I just typed the wrong word.

But the thumbnail is missing from the screen--you're not talking about printing the notes, right?

Are these presentations originally coming from Powerpoint?

As I said, looking over the notes view in my own presentation files, I don't see any problem, so I'm not sure what to suggest.
johnl

Post by johnl »

Yes, that is ultimately what I want to do, print the thumbnails with the notes. I'm composing the presentations in OOo, but saving them as .ppt files. Now, once a file exhibits this problem, even saving it as an .odp file doesn't remedy the problem. It's there for good, it seems. But the problem exists in OOo (as a .ppt file) before I ever open it in PowerPoint.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Your best bet may be to submit one of your presentations (the .odp file) along with a bug report.

If you want to upload one here (or on a filesharing site such as mediafire.com or filecrunch.com), we can give it a try also, but I doubt there's much that can be done to work around the problem.

Are your conversions to .ppt strictly one-way? I.e. do you ever work on the .ppt file and then save that as .odp?
johnl

Post by johnl »

I generally don't work on .ppt files and then save as .odp because I only have PowerPoint on my computer at work; I don't have it at home, which is where I often begin the presentation. Generally, I don't save as .ppt until the presentation is finished.

It doesn't sound like there is much to be done about this. Alas....Perhaps I'll upload a file; have to figure out how, first.

Thanks for the replies.

John