[Solved] Remote presentation control

Discuss the presentation application
une

[Solved] Remote presentation control

Post by une »

Will Impress work with a Remote Presentation Controller???
Most controller are saying they will work with Powerpoint, but will they work with Impress??
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
open office 4.3.1 on windows10
Bidouille
Volunteer

Re: Remote presentation control

Post by Bidouille »

No need to buy a specific device.
I use a keyboard and mouse wireless for that. :)
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Bidouille wrote:No need to buy a specific device.
I use a keyboard and mouse wireless for that. :)
Remote controller is quite handy when you can't stay behind the laptop, or if you want to have a more dynamic posture, not bothering hitting the good little keys. And it usually has a laser pointer too, thus no need to get lost with keyboard and mouse (even wireless, ergonomics is quite poor).

Not sure if a remote controller sends very different signals to the machine/application. Never tried myself with AOO/LO.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I agree with Hagar about the effectiveness of the laser pointer.

I used a remote presentation controller on my Xubuntu laptop some years ago; while controller was plugged in it effectively rendered the laptop incapable of normal editing (some form of crosstalk between controller and touchpad if I remember correctly). That didn't matter, as I was only using the laptop for the presentation at the time; an unplug of controller receiver and a reboot restored laptop to normal.

I'll check later today to see how it works and refresh my memory of it and will post again.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
une

Post by une »

Is the remote presenter connected only to the computet/keyboard (for page up and down) and independant of the program used, or will the remote presenter ”talk” with the program (Impress)??
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

My memory - it is two years (pre virus) since I used it, is that it had page up/down, sound volume keys, and video play/pause. Will check later (6 hours time) and post make/model and details. It certainly worked page up/down with Impress - I didn't at the time check with anything else, as laptop is only used for presentation and last minute selection of slides.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I've now had time to try a remote presenter controller on a laptop and a desktop, both running Xubuntu 20.04.3; the laptop was using LibreOffice, the desktop OpenOffice.

The presenter was an "ednet Laser presenter for laptop/desktop PCs", linking to the computers by a little USB wireless dongle (USB code 2571:4101). As far as I remember, the controller was a PCworld "own brand" device.

It worked correctly on both computers; provided with a laser pointer, it had on/off slide switch, and buttons allowing page up/down, Sound on/off, volume up/down, start/pause of video, and had two other buttons for minimise application (return to desktop) and end application/close computer. beside AAA battery was a compartment for the USB wireless dongle.

With this later Xubuntu I did not detect any interference with mouse or touchpad.
une

Post by une »

Thanks! I will buy one