[Solved] Pictures in Impress slides

Discuss the presentation application
DavidHorneys

[Solved] Pictures in Impress slides

Post by DavidHorneys »

SOLVED
OR AT LEAST I GOT A LOT OF EDUCATION.

Greetings. I am relearning impress and doing well except for a serious problem. I have lots of slides with many scanned pictures.
1. Some slides get grayed or lined across and I don't know why. This I can fix with a copy / new slide / paste.
2. Some pictures get lost and replaced with a symbol of little squares and 3 dots. I don't know why or what this means. Help please. David
Last edited by robleyd on Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tag [Solved]
OPENOFFICE 4.1.3
ON windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Pictures in Impress slides

Post by Zizi64 »

(Or upgrade your software...)

And please give us more details about the problem.
  • File type of the document
    File type of the images
    File size of the images
    etc...
Best way to share your problematic document here. I suppose that your file is bigger than 128 KiB, therefore you can not upload it directly here. Use a free file sharing service, and put the link into a post.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

DavidHorneys wrote:2. Some pictures get lost and replaced with a symbol of little squares and 3 dots. I don't know why or what this means.
It's a known bug in AOO. See 16. Lost images ... and a word of caution about using AutoRecovery. LibreOffice 6.1 and later is now probably better than AOO in [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion.

Please upload a small one slide file showing the greyed image problem and a screen copy (PrtScr or Alt+PrtScr) of what you get so that it can be analysed.

Press POSTREPLY and click the Upload attachment tab below where you type (128 kB max); or use a file share site, Dropbox or Google Drive for a larger file.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
DavidHorneys

Post by DavidHorneys »

Per request about grayed out slide [ what is the significance ) .
Attachments
Hope this shows enough LH grayed area
Hope this shows enough LH grayed area
OPENOFFICE 4.1.3
ON windows 10
DavidHorneys

Post by DavidHorneys »

I added a bit of clarification between the slide and the listing
Attachments
SlideScreern01.jpg
OPENOFFICE 4.1.3
ON windows 10
DavidHorneys

Post by DavidHorneys »

Further questions on my lost pictures post. I have done a lot of picture editing in impress just after a scan (Bad, I see ). Is there a logic to the loss or is this a WHACK A MOLE where one can not win ?
And a big thanks to those who responded. David
OPENOFFICE 4.1.3
ON windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Slide 17 in the slide viewer (left column of thumbnails of slides) has been selected to be hidden, hence the stripey shading. Point to the centre of the slide in that column and across the bottom of the thumbnail you will see three little icons appear. That on the left starts a slide show at this slide, that on the right duplicates the slide, and that in the centre hides or unhides the slide from a slideshow.
 Edit: I often use this if giving the same talk to different groups - I duplicate the first screen, customise the group name, and Hide the slides with other group names. If one wants to get really complex - say a talk at two or more levels of complexity for different classes - one can use /Slide Show /Custom Slide how to make a selection and reordering if desired of slides from a master collection, and Save these selections under appropriate names. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

DavidHorneys wrote:
John_Ha wrote:Please upload a small one slide file showing the greyed image problem and a screen copy (PrtScr or Alt+PrtScr) of what you get so that it can be analysed.
Per request about grayed out slide [ what is the significance ) .
In your original post you said
1. Some slides get grayed or lined across and I don't know why.
The reason is so we get the correct understanding of what is happening rather than being misled by an incorrect or incomplete description.

I trust you will appreciate that your description is, at worst, completely wrong; and at best, completely confusing and totally misleading :super: Your slide is not greyed out - only the tiny view in the slide list is greyed out.

A better description would be "Some of the little slide images on the left in the list of slides are covered with grey slanting lines although the corresponding full size slides are OK". That pinpoints the problem and an image would not have been asked for.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Last edited by John_Ha on Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

John_Ha and I differ on this (politely, like scholars and gentlemen!); the reason for our difference may be platform related: he uses Windows, and I use Xubuntu, and there may be a hidden difference in the code.

I find that if I suppress making backups and saving autorecovery, I have had no picture loss and can edit master presentations of a hundred plus slides of age of ten years or more, or prepare new presentations or illustrated publications without any loss of inserted pictures. My decision not to permit backups was forced on me because I Save to a NAS (Network Addressed Storage) device, which does not like OO making backups, and I have never bothered to sort out why. The Autorecovery process seemed to me not to properly restore the program environment after it cut in; whether this was due to the autorecovery process itself or some problem attaching to keypresses during the Autorecovery save I cannot say.

As an old computer user, first programming in 1964, and microcomputers since they were invented, I have certain disciplines as second nature.
I will use the timed/dated backup method on any serious or extended work to ensure I have a good backup to a different device than my main files are saved to.

LibreOffice commissioned a rewrite of the code of image handling which manifests as greater stability in that in LibreOffice (although there are some very few reports of image loss in LibreOffice). As long as my method works for me I am loath to move to LibreOffice.

Note that the above method works for me, using Xubuntu, and Saving to an NAS device. I make no assertion that they will work for you, especially not if using a different operating system and storage method.

As John_Ha has studied the question of picture loss in much greater detail than I have (especially from his experience using Windows), I would give weight to his contributions.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

RoryOF wrote:John_Ha and I differ on this [the reason for image losses] (politely, like scholars and gentlemen!)
And, with equal politeness and great respect, our disagreement is because I am right and you are wrong :crazy: :roll:

I think I am correct in saying Rory thinks AOO and LO are both equally bad at losing images as image losses are still being reported by LO users.

I think LO must now be better than AOO because the LO code has been completely rewritten (the rewrite cost €40,000) to remove known problems causing image losses so LO should now lose images less often than AOO.

Image losses was one of the reasons causing me to migrate from AOO to LO.
Last edited by John_Ha on Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I will certainly agree at least as far as Windows is concerned, John. My experience with Xubuntu and a NAS device seems good (for me).

As I write using /View /non printing characters turned on, I find the bright blue indicators from LibreOffice obtrusive, so am loath to change to it for my normal work.
DavidHorneys

Post by DavidHorneys »

Gentlemen: Thanks for the education and I have no desire to start a friendly fight. I appreciate your input and ALSO did find and read someone's ( one of you ? ) very lengthy dissertation of this very subject.
I also accept your criticism of my original description about the slashes across the tiny slide on the left side of the screen ( even this is not technically exact ). However, I still don't know why .

FYI, I probably started dabbling in the computer world before or about the same time as either of you with my TRS 80 with 8 K. Slide shows have not been my focus, although OO slides have done me well in the past.

It is time to close this schooling and get back to work. I have downloaded LibreOffice and will see how that goes with better discipline on the photo input. My oo presentation loaded fine and I presume it will save.
I will attempt to mark this posting as solved ( with reservations ). Best wishes
OPENOFFICE 4.1.3
ON windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

DavidHorneys wrote:FYI, I probably started dabbling in the computer world before or about the same time as either of you with my TRS 80 with 8 K.
The first computer I dabbled with, teaching myself FORTRAN running in batch on punched cards, struggling with IBM's JCL (//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*), and running up enormous charges, was an IBM 360 or 370 in the late 60s.

The second, also in the late 60s, was a Honeywell DDP 516 which had a magnificent 1 MB disk drive - the envy of everyone. The disk was in a box about 4ft x 4ft x 1ft and it had a glass window so you could check to see if the disk was actually rotating ...

DavidHorneys

Re: [Solved] Pictures in Impress slides

Post by DavidHorneys »

You might have me beat. My TRS 80 was probably purchased in 1977. I sold it and all documentation 7 years ago. Got $ 350 or so. I used that computer at home for my job at a minor division of ITT, because my engineering dept wasn´t that well equipped.

FYI, on my original problem , I am using LO. I Insert scan media to a slide, then cut the object and paste it to Serif Photo, modify if needed, Export as BIT (BMP) to a folder, hide Serif and Insert Image and select said object, then size as required. Cumbersome, but seems to work. I am trying to condense my life to a slide show for my 90th birthday. David
OPENOFFICE 4.1.3
ON windows 10
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Export as BIT (BMP) to a folder...and Insert Image and select said object
If you refer to John_Ha's [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images which he linked in a previous post, you'll note that he strongly recommends against using BMP format. For photos, use JPG.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

DavidHorneys wrote:You might have me beat. My TRS 80 was probably purchased in 1977.
If a youngster like you is going to cite 1977 then I will have to include an ICL machine running FORTRAN, where the OS was charmingly called George; an IBM 3033 (later 3033AP) running APL (you can always tell an APL bigot but not very much); a DEC PDP-8 where you had to key in the loader program with the front panel switches so you could read the paper tape to get it started - it was called a bootstrap loader as it pulled itself up by its own bootstraps - and a PDP-11 which was very similar, but pink and purple instead of bilious orange - both were used as real time data acquisition systems with equipment connected directly to the main bus; a DEC VAX 11/780 - all of 1 MIP - which I loved as the OS was beautiful.
DEC PDP-8
DEC PDP-8
And then came the "personal" computers like the Superbrain (1979) which was amazing ... and had about as much processing power as my running watch now has. All were eclipsed by the IBM PC in 1981 - the first were shipped with 16kB of main memory!
Attachments
Superbrain computer 1979
Superbrain computer 1979