[Solved] Exporting to PDF with Transparency

Discuss the presentation application
dluns74

[Solved] Exporting to PDF with Transparency

Post by dluns74 »

Hello all,

I have an Impress document with .png images in them. They are placed in the document using Insert > Picture > from File, sent to back, and transparency set to 60%.
.png Image Properties
.png Image Properties
I really need to export to .pdf with that transparency intact, but I get the message, "Some objects were converted into an image in order to remove transparencies, because the target PDF format does not support transparencies. Possibly better results can be achieved if you remove the transparent objects before exporting".
export to pdf settings
export to pdf settings
Obviously that second sentence isn't an option because I need those transparent objects there. Is this not possible with Impress, do I need to update to a newer version of OpenOffice that can do this, or am I just plain doing something wrong? And, if it's not possible, can anyone suggest a workaround, as I really need this done to meet a client's deadline?

Assistance is much appreciated!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
OpenOffice 4.1.10 on Windows 10
Mountaineer

Re: Exporting to PDF with Transparency

Post by Mountaineer »

Transparency is not allowed in
PDF/A

Untick the checkmark, and try again.

Think, if you need PDF/A, and why

J.

PS If you prepare some flyer to be printed check if the printing-service will accept your pdf, as no Office will produce pdf/X to my knowledge. And pdf/X has also restrictions on how to handle transparency.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
dluns74

Re: [Solved] Exporting to PDF with Transparency

Post by dluns74 »

You are a life saver!

To answer the question, no I don't need PDF/A for this, I just never have thought that would be the issue.
OpenOffice 4.1.10 on Windows 10