On-screen height of a presenter slide

Discuss the presentation application
shilliard

On-screen height of a presenter slide

Post by shilliard »

Why is the vertical height of a presenter slide on screen different after that slide is copied from one presentation to another?

When running a slide show, in one cast that slide is 1/4 inch from the top edge of the monitor and 1/4 inch from the bottom. In the other slide show that slide is 3/4 inch from the top and bottom.

This condition effects differences when the slide is printed.

I am describing one slide which I copied from one presentation to another, but all slides in a presentation are the same height.

The slide images on the left frame also differ in height in the same way.

Another difference shows up in the notes. One slide image there has an inner and outer top and bottom border. This corresponds to the difference in height of the slides.

I am interest in eliminating the shrinking of height of the slides in the presentation with the shortest slides. This mainly because the effect carries through to the printed page.

Other differences:
1 I have been editing files in both OpenOffice and LibreOffice.

2 The two presentations have different templates.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 and LibreOffice 6.1.5.2 on windows 10
RoryOF

Re: On-screen height of a presenter slide

Post by RoryOF »

Just guesses on my part:

The notes page for the copied slide may be US Letter rather than A4 or contrariwise, which could affect the proportions on the page.

The display ratio (width:height) and resolution of the monitors/projectors on which the images are displayed will be significant, affecting the positioning of the slides when displayed. A presentation designed using the classic 4:3 ratio on a 1024x768 screen will fill the screen, but when this image is displayed on a modern 1920 x 1080 screen (16:9) there will be margins left and right because of the differing screen ratio.

Also there are hidden parameters which affect overscan, both in the vertical and horizontal dimensions, so that, using either a different selection of such parameters as chosen by the underlying graphics engine of the operating system, different computers displaying the same presentation on the same monitor can give slightly different sized display images.

Unless the images are grossly shrunken, my advice is to leave well alone and let Impress sort the problem as best it can.

As always, detailed formatting and printing should where possible be carried out on the one computer, using the one application.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
shilliard

Re: On-screen height of a presenter slide

Post by shilliard »

Thanks. I continued working on this problem because I wanted to understand why the height difference occurred. I think I solved the problem of fixing slides that show and print with shrunk height. It was a matter of using the right template. The default empty template produced by the OO "New Presentation" wizard is correct for me.

The method I used:
I created a presentation with OO that had the correct (not shortened) slides. I did this by selecting in the wizard [Empty Presentation] & [Create]. That gave me a presentation with one blank slide of the right (not shrunk) height. I added the title "OO Impress Starter01" I saved it in a new folder [New OO Impress Starter] as "OO Impress Starter01.odp"

In OpenOffice:
I can start a new presentation by opening OO Impress Starter01.odp. It gives me a presentation containing one empty slide with the title "OO Impress Starter01."

On LibreOffice:
I started a new presentation opening OO Impress Starter01.odp from Windows 10 File Explorer by "right click", "open with LibreOffice." That gives me the same file with the same height as it was in OO.

Fix short slides:
I open in LO a new "OO Impress Starter01.odp." I dragged the shortened slides from their original presentation into the new "OO Impress Starter01.odp"presentation. The moved slides will be converted to the correct height.

Print slides the correct height:
The converted slides printed to the correct height on paper.

There might be many procedures that would have fixed my slide height. I think the key is in getting a presentation with the right template size. Once that is accomplished, the presentation file can be opened in either OO or LO and each program will use the same initial template -- which has to be determined when the project is first created.

Also, it seems like when a slide is copied from presentation A to presentation B, the slide takes on the template of presentation B. But I am not certain of this.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 and LibreOffice 6.1.5.2 on windows 10