Issues With LO Newer Versions

Discuss the presentation application
Steve5

Issues With LO Newer Versions

Post by Steve5 »

In January I downloaded the newer versions of Libre Office, 6.4.7.2, and Open Office, 4.1.8. While I constructed a few slide shows mostly on OO back in 2015 and 2016, I switched to LO a few years ago because there was a very annoying problem with OO: when I clicked on a slide, or its Notes tab, or tried to paste in a slide, I'd be taken up to the first slide. So I had to scroll down to the slide I wanted to work on. I posted about it here on this message board at the time, but has never been fixed. And I never had an issue with LO. Until now.

I was going over the slide shows recently in LO and there was an issue. When I inserted the click/pointer USB it paralyzed my touchpad. I need the touchpad to start the slide show. Also, to edit slides as I'm practicing it. I didn't have this issue all these years, until now.

I went into the touchpad settings and checked the box to "leave touchpad on when mouse is connected." That fixed the issue. But I also have animation issues.

1. I have about 20 slides with a couple of words of text and four pictures and each slide set to advance in 45 seconds. And I have the text and the pictures come into the slides separately with various animation types. For some reason, with this newer version of LO, the text appears first (as it should) and then one or two pictures come in separately (as it/they should), but then the slide immediately advances to the next slide. The third and fourth pictures do not come into the slide and there's no 45 second delay. And it happens on all these slides.

Yes, the animations for the pictures are all there, set to "after previous," with the 45 second slide advance delay. I also use these same slides in another presentation, and the same thing is happening there too.

I tried removing the animations to the pictures, and left in the text that flys in and that works. So something is wrong with pictures and animation.

I tried this in OO and it works there. So this is a LO issue.

2. I have text on a few slides that Fly in, and when running the slide show, after the text stops, they flash once, maybe twice. And this was happening in both Open Office and Libre Office. And happening on text that I have set to "Appear" too (I have one slide where text Flys In, but doesn't flash). One slide, where I have two groups of text "Wipe In," one goes from bright to a bit darker, and on the other, darker to lighter. So when they're done "flashing," there is difference in brightness.

I didn't set it up that way, and none of this text ever flashed. And they all had the same level of brightness.

I right clicked on the flashing text and went into Text - Text Animation and for Effect, it says "No effect." Right click - Character - Highlighting and it's set to "None." Character - Font effects, all say "Without." I right clicked - Edit Style - Text Animation, "No effect." In the Animation settings, they're all set to "Don't dim" and Group Text, "One object."

I removed the flashing text and typed it in again, and saved it, but it still flashed. I enlarged the text to the same as the Fly In text that doesn't flash and that didn't work either. I also tried to make the slide all over again from scratch. That worked on one, the Fly In text doesn't flash. But when I did another slide, it didn't work, that text still flashed. But that was Wipe In.

Also, something strange. I have white text on a blue background. But when I changed the background to gray, the text turns to black and it doesn't flash.

So I tried upgrading to the newest LO version, 7.1.3, and it was a disaster. When I ran the slide show, the slides with the text and four pictures didn't appear at all. All I got was my blank screen, or just the blue of the slide, with a darker thin blue line running down the middle.

I tried starting from another slide, with some Fly In text and only part of it appeared. Then on the edit screen, many of the slides running down the left side of the screen were thumbnails in the upper left corner of a black "slide" (the slide was normal in the middle of screen). So something is definitely wrong with LO.

So I uninstalled 7.1.3 and tried 7.0.6. I wasn't getting that blank screen with the blue line, but still, only one or two of the animated pictures were showing on those slides, and no 45 second delay.

So I uninstalled LO and went back to OO. And when I ran the slide show, that flashing I described above with the animated text, wasn't really happening. But I'm still getting taken back to the first slide when I click a slide or its Notes tab, and there is an issue with the slides advancing. The slides with the pictures are fine, but I have a few slides that should advance in a second or two, or three (unlike LO, you can't set partial seconds, like 1.5 or 2.5 seconds in OO). Seems off and also inconsistent. I guess I can advance them by clicking if I had to. But in OO and LO, sometimes when I run a slide with timing Fly In text that comes in word by word, the timing of the words is basically ignored. So sometimes the timing works, other times it does not (it seems the time is off when you start on that slide, but if you start on the slide before it, it would be fine).

Despite all its flaws, I thought I'd use OO until I noticed a picture in one of my slides had disappeared. Only the border, the tiny colorful box in the top left hand corner and three red dots was left. Where did it go? (I remember having a slide's picture disappear years ago, and that must have been when I switched to LO.)

I never had any of these issues with my older laptop and older (2016?) LO version.

So I upgraded to OO 4.1.10 and that bug where you're taken up to Slide 1 is still happening. But there's something else: When I open one of my four slide shows, before it opens in full, I get a window saying: "This document was created by a newer version of OO. It may contain features not supported by your current version." First, that's not true at all. I did not create it with a "newer" version. It was created with an older version, much older. And second, I don't get that window when I open the other three presentations.

So I figured I'd go back to LO. So I uninstalled 7.0.6 and reinstalled 6.4.7.2. And those slides with the four animated pictures are still ignoring two pictures and the 45 seconds.

So at the moment I have OO 4.1.10 and LO 6.4.7.2 But I can't use LO because the slides with the four animated pictures are not working. At least the slides on the left have filled out and are not thumbnails. And OO has issues - taking you back to the top slide, and pictures that might one day disappear. And you can't count on timing text or advance a slide in partial seconds.

But the flashing isn't as noticeable on OO, but is noticeable on the slide with two groups of Wipe In text. But the animated text is noticeably flashing in LO.

So what's with the flashing text? And why aren't the slides with the four pictures and 45 second delay working in LO?

I should point out that when I first downloaded LO 6.4.7.2 for the first time in January, the slides advanced on the monitor, but not my laptop (I posted it in this message board). I uninstalled and reinstalled LO, and it worked. So is something wrong with these newer versions of LO.

And come to think of it, I didn't have the problem with the USB in January with 6.4.7.2. Maybe the touchpad settings box was checked at the time.
Libre Office 6.4.7.2, Open Office 4.1.10, Windows (ugh) 10
Bidouille
Volunteer

Re: Issues With LO Newer Versions

Post by Bidouille »

Provide a small ODP document to reproduce.
Steve5

Post by Steve5 »

Open in Libre Office.

After the top text comes flying in, click for the first (one word) and second group of text. Then click again for the third group. The second and third groups come in bright and then dim.

I was going to post two more slides, but they're too big.

I got a slide down to 193 Kb. 128 is the max?
Attachments
Test.odp
(14.52 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
Steve5

Post by Steve5 »

The slide with the four pictures. On this one, three pictures appear, but not the fourth. But on my original slide show, one or two pictures appear. But both are ignoring the 45 delay. But it works correctly in OO.
Attachments
Test 3.odp
(43.01 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
Steve5

Post by Steve5 »

Another slide with the flashing text. I have five groups of words appearing one after another (with three pictures, which aren't an issue). On the first group of words, and the last (at the bottom of the slide), they come out bright and then dim. They sometimes flash a second time. The others don't flash at all, which they shouldn't.

The flashing isn't a big deal, but it shouldn't be happening.

The flashing isn't as noticeable in Open Office.
Attachments
Test 2.odp
(41.78 KiB) Downloaded 138 times