Impress & Microsoft 10

Discuss the presentation application
MikeMcGrane

Impress & Microsoft 10

Post by MikeMcGrane »

Hi all. Have a question my Presentation Project keeps locking up and crashing, and won't reload. Keeps loosing the images. I'm using Rebelle 4.1 for graphics, exporting as .jpeg &/or .PNG. No sound as of yet,,,,, that is another P I T A ! I'm Using Apache 4.1.10 and Windows 10 OS. Working on a Digital Storm, Veloz, Gaming Computer. Which I purchased specifically for Media arts and Animation. I'm fed up enough with Apache, to even pay for Adobe or Microsoft. Actually I already pay for Adobe Creative Suite.
Would appreciate some tips. Realizing how annoying Microsoft is and the long running feud with Open Office.
Open Office version 4.1.10 OS Windows 10
RusselB

Re: Impress & Microsoft 10

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
First off, Apache OpenOffice is NOT the same as Microsoft Office. Never has been, never will be.
There are similarities, but that is all. If you need something that is better compatible with Microsoft Office, then a common suggestion is for you to switch to Libre Office as it has a more active development and more compatibility.
If you need to ensure 100% compatibility, then you will need to purchase Microsoft Office.
Based on your post, and other posts that have similarities, the change to LibreOffice (as linked above) might resolve your problems.
Worst case scenario, as far as I can tell, is that it doesn't work any better, and all you're out is a bit of time by trying it.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Impress & Microsoft 10

Post by John_Ha »

MikeMcGrane wrote:[AOO] Keeps loosing the images.
See 16. Lost images ... and a word of caution about using AutoRecovery. LibreOffice 6.1 and later is now probably better than AOO in [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images. LO is now probably better but images are sometimes still reported as getting lost.

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for a description of differences and for why you should always work in, and save Writer files as .odt, Calc files as .ods, Impress files as .odp etc.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.