Pasted text to flow to next slide

Discuss the presentation application
rustyfl

Pasted text to flow to next slide

Post by rustyfl »

Hello! I am trying to paste large amounts of text into an Open Office presentation. I could save time if I could paste text and it would automatically flow from one slide and continue to flow onto the next slide. Is this possible to do when creating a presentation in Open Office? I appreciate any help or advice you can give.

Thank you for all your reply's! I (sort of) speak for a living. I am a pastor. I use a projector to display scriptures and my main points as I teach. I control the projector with a remote control so I can quickly change to the next slide. Sometimes I put just one sentence or one point on the screen. Sometimes I put an entire passage from the Bible... Lot's of text. Since all our services are live streamed on Facebook and YouTube... I already limit each slide to about 6 lines of text so the text is only 6 lines above my head on the screen behind me. Only the middle section of the projector screen is used to display text. This allows the camera guys to zoom in on me and keep the text on the screen behind me, at the same time, without making me look really small in the image and the projector screen taking up half of the video screen. Over the past several years I have spent many hours just cutting up text and pasting it in tiny text boxes in my presentations. It would be great if the text would automatically fill in the next 2, 3, 4, or more slides as I paste it into my presentations. I don't need all the fancy animations and stuff. I just need to put copied text and my main points on a screen. Thank you for any assistance you can provide!

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply (robleyd, Moderator). Was OPEN OFFICE PRESENTATION QUESTION
Last edited by rustyfl on Tue May 11, 2021 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Apache Open Office 4.1.10 Windows 7
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Pasted text to flow to next slide

Post by John_Ha »

Not that I know of. Split the text separately in Notepad or Writer and then add it.

Be careful you don't lose you audience as no-one will read a wall of text and you will be wasting your (and their) time.

Also be aware that if you are presenting to an audience they can only read the text if it is large enough that only about eight lines fit on a slide.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Best to split your text into smaller chunks before inserting into Impress. But I agree with John_Ha - avoid masses of text!
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

rustyfl wrote:I could save time if I could paste text and it would automatically flow from one slide and continue to flow onto the next slide.
Open TXT File With Impress

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Another method of doing this, if the display is only or mostly text, is to set a page size in OpenOffice writer to that of a screen format, edit the text to have adequate styling, then /File /Export as PDF, and use the PDF file for viewing/projection.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I came across How to make a good presentation which is even more strict than I suggest.

Limit the amount of copy on each slide

Less really is more, especially when it comes to making a good presentation. Too much text and the audience will just be reading the screen instead of looking at you and feeling the emotional impact of your message.

• No more than six words per slide.

Marketing king Seth Godin says we should have just six words per slide – that’s not a lot of copy. Choose your words carefully and rewrite until you’ve got it just right.
  • Think ‘bite-size’ information.

We called ourselves Biteable a reason: studies have shown that information is retained better when it’s broken down into bite-sized chunks. Video is a great way to learn and research suggests it’s 95% more compelling than text.

I recreated my "go-to" four point presentation I'd often use.
Attachments
4 point presentation.odp
(16.37 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.