[Solved] Printing Impress Image goes wonky

Discuss the presentation application
designerann

[Solved] Printing Impress Image goes wonky

Post by designerann »

SOLVED.
My Impress graphic star looked exactly like what I wanted. I also locked in the size and location. YET, when I printed it, the size was OK, but the star image rotated into something wonky. I am doing a huge personal project using Impress. I hope there is help for printing the pages as they appear onscreen. Thanks for any help you can give.
Last edited by robleyd on Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved]; add green tick
Open Office 3.1 Windows 8.1
RusselB

Re: Problem Printing Impress Image goes wonky

Post by RusselB »

Wonky isn't a very detailed description of what went wrong.
Normally I'd ask for a copy of the file, but in this case I think a picture of the "wonky" output along with a screenshot of the "good" image would be better.
The make & model of your printer may also be of assistance.
Quickly, without the requested information, one thing that I can think of, is that you have a graphics font that doesn't have the correct print parameters. If this is the case, it can be hard (ie: nearly impossible) to locate, so I'm hoping that it's something else.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
designerann

Post by designerann »

I have taken a screen shot + a print, then made a college. How do I post a jpg?
I have printed other Impress files on this printer with no problem. I wonder if it might have something to do with the fact that it is a square? I have a star drawn inside a circle. I used Impress because I needed a certain exact size for what I am doing.
As you can read, I am not very computer savvy. I just use it for what I need, which is not much.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The Upload tab is just below the Submit button on Full Editor and Post Reply screens, not on Quick Reply screen.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
designerann

Post by designerann »

I am about to give up on sending this. First I had too many characters. Now, too few.
Yes, I know nothing about how computers work. Really FRUSTRATED!
Sorry this is taking so long. It is really really really hard for me.
Thanks for any help, ann
printing PROBLEM.jpg
Attachments
Problem 200 pixels.jpg
Problem 200 pixels.jpg (13.21 KiB) Viewed 4686 times
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

What happens when you File > Export > Export as PDF ..., your file? Is the PDF OK? or wonky? If wonky, it suggests your drawing is wonky.

It will be much easier if you upload the .odp file and also tell us precisely what you are trying to do as, for example, "I want a symmetric 5 point star centred in the circle with a point at 360".

NB If you upload your screenshots as two separate GIF files you can use a much bigger pixel count and still be less than 128kB so we can see the details.

Here, I added a circle and a star at a random place. I selected both (l-click the first, then SHIFT/l-click the second. I then aligned them vertically and horizontally (r-click > Align > Centred. r-click > Align > centre). They are now perfectly aligned. How does it print for you?

Note that "the vertical extent of the star" is aligned with "the vertical extent of the circle". As the actual centre of the star is not half way between the the top (a single point) and bottom (two points) of the star, the star is not concentric with the circle.
star.png
Attachments
star.odp
(13.29 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

What's wrong exactly?
If it's a square, then how the orientation matters?
Your "page" seems to be a square, that's rather strange.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
designerann

Post by designerann »

Thanks. That is not the star I want. I need one that fits inside a circle.
Unfortunately, I need to get some work done this afternoon.
I will try to post separate images later.
I appreciate the suggestions.
ann
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

What I guess is that you've set up a page that is a square and you're trying to print on a page that is not (A4 or Letter).
You should keep the Impress slide as per your paper size. Then rotate it so that you have the minimum to cut to get a square (or so that it fits whatever your project is).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Ann

Please post the Impress file or even just the one slide causing the problem. It is much easier to help you when we know exactly what you have done, what you don't like and what you want. Someone will probably do it for you.
Hagar Delest wrote:What I guess is that you've set up a page that is a square and you're trying to print on a page that is not (A4 or Letter).
You should keep the Impress slide as per your paper size. Then rotate it so that you have the minimum to cut to get a square (or so that it fits whatever your project is).
I could not find any setting which caused a slide to get distorted when printed. The slide can be scaled to normal size, or scaled to fit the paper, but it is never distorted.

That being said, if I changed the Master page slide aspect ratio any objects on a slide were scaled in proportion to the new sides' sizes and became distorted

In this case, the print has been rotated through 90 degrees compared with the slide and I think this is what gives the star a "wonky" appearance.

I can't work out how to force AOO to rotate a slide while printing it but checking paper orientation should reveal why the image got rotated. Perhaps paper has been inserted into the printer in landscape orientation whereas the printer expects paper always to be inserted in portrait orientation.

What I think is happening is the star is not regular: three points are much larger than the other two and the three are not identical. The five tips are not equispaced around 360 degrees. The angles between the point edges close to the centre are very different - one is about 90 degrees while another in 120 degrees or more.

The two images below are the same except one has been rotated 90 degrees as shown by the red arrow.

The first star looks "almost OK", probably because it is symmetric about a vertical centreline. The second star looks "wonky" because, although it is now symmetric about a horizontal centreline, it isn't symmetric about any vertical line. There is an interesting visual illusion/psychological perception problem there!
slide.gif
rotated.gif
Regular, symmetric star overlaid on actual star
Regular, symmetric star overlaid on actual star
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
designerann

Post by designerann »

Much thanks for all the ideas. I never thought of converting it to a pdf. However, I did. This solved the printing problem. Do not know why. But I just printed out exactly what I wanted. I really appreciate all of the brilliant ideas. Ann