Insert hyperlink to play VLC video player

Discuss the presentation application
une

Insert hyperlink to play VLC video player

Post by une »

I am using Impress 4.1.9 and win10. I have problem when I insert AVI video files in OO Impress. The screen is black but I can hear the sound. I have tested a lot but I have no succes. I have now understood that I can insert a hyperlink that will start VLC video player which play my video file.
I have tried myself to configure the hyperlink window but nothing works.
Can someone tell me how to insert the the place where I have my VLC program, and also how to insert the place where I have my AVI file.

When I open Hyperlink and document there is in the top "Document/search way" and below this "target in document". But how to insert the path to VLC in combination with the path to the AVI file???????
Hoping someone is better than me
Bye
Une
open office 4.3.1 on windows10
RoryOF

Re: Insert hyperlink to play VLC video player

Post by RoryOF »

First of all, ensure that you can play the .avi clip outside of OpenOffice (i.e., that codecs suitable for it are loaded).

Open your presentation. Click on the slide to hold the hyperlink, then choose /Insert /Hyperlink; from the hyperlink dialog choose "Document" from the left hand column. In Document Path" navigate to the position of your target .avi file and select it. Enter what key text you wish in the Text entry. When you run Slide Show, clicking on this text will start media player playing the .avi clip.

My memory is that if you (before presentation) use VLC outside of Impress and close it when in Full Screen mode, it will remember and open in that mode in the presentation. It is (used?) be possible to insert a command line such as "vlc /full_screen parameter /path to video file" to invoke vlc in full screen mode. I have not time at present to investigate the syntax for this. Will try later, but it will be several hours before I can return to this.

If there are spaces in file paths and fiule names, you may have to surround these with double quotes.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
une

Post by une »

In the place for document I have inserted the full path to the VLC program and after that directly the path to my AVI file.
But when running the slideshow I only will have a black page with the hyperlink instruction in blue.
The AVI file works perfect outside Impress
Une
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

What happens when you put Impress into Slide Show mode and Click on the hyperlink text?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

There is discussion and some suggested methods on how to invoke a program from Impress in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=82218
une

Post by une »

I got: Can not find the file .......
Une
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Try again - it just worked for me.
une

Post by une »

Can you tell me exactly how you write the pathes for both the VLC program and the AVI file.
Which is you writing first? Are you writing the path for the VLC first and after that the path for the AVI file?
Une
une

Post by une »

se my hyperlink window
Attachments
Hyperlink.doc
(76 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The quickest way to do this may be to work out a command line for vlc to play your avi file, then insert that command line into a batch file (.bat) and hyperlink to the batch file.
une

Post by une »

I will try and see what I am able to do.
Thanks a lot and hugs
Une