Can't insert a video

Discuss the presentation application
chris64

Can't insert a video

Post by chris64 »

I have tried AVI, MWV, and MOV. Each time I get an error that it's not supported :?:
mac big sur
open office 4.1.7
chris64

Re: Can't insert a video

Post by chris64 »

Please help. What are your thoughts of Libre office? Is it more/less robust than open office? I'm running mac.
mac big sur
open office 4.1.7
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

LO benefits from a much more active development. Try and keep it if it best suits your needs.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

My usual procedure is to insert a hyperlink to the video file, which causes the system media player to take over and show the video - admittedly this is clunky, but for substantial video clips of minutes it is effective and the audience usually overlooks any clunkiness.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
chris64

Post by chris64 »

That sounds great! How do I do it? I inserted a hyperlink but will it run when the slide appears? Won't won't but perhaps I didn't insert it correctly
mac big sur
open office 4.1.7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

One has to Ctrl Click on the Hyperiink. One can also modify the hyperlink to include a full command line invoking the system media player, commands for full screen, exit etc, and then the full path to the video clip. Usually I use the pause before clicking on hyperlink to say a few words to put the video clip in context.

I have not experimented with the hyperlink being automatically invoked on slide appearance. If you wish to try for that, I suggest playing with a three slide presentation with hyperlink on slide 2.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bidouille
Volunteer

Post by Bidouille »

chris64 wrote:I have tried AVI, MWV, and MOV. Each time I get an error that it's not supported
Insert a video works fine with AOO 4.1.9 and Win10 x64 Pro.
Try with this short file: https://forum.openoffice.org/fr/forum/d ... p?id=25578

Note that is not an insert (embed) but just a link.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

chris64 wrote:What are your thoughts of Libre office?
You can find plenty of topics about that. There is a Search feature and a LibreOffice forum, but you can start with these.
[Solved] LibreOffice - OpenOffice - Which one to use?
[Solved] OpenOffice vs LibreOffice
[Solved] OpenOffice vs LibreOffice (another one)
[Solved] OpenOffice and LibreOffice similarities
… ad nauseum
chris64 wrote:I have tried AVI, MWV, and MOV. Each time I get an error that it's not supported
A search of the Impress forum will find many posts about problems with audio and video. You can look for them since it's your topic. Personally I would not waste my time with trying to use audio/video in an Impress presentation. However, since you say you have a Mac, you can use Keynote. It's probably already installed on your machine and if not it's free from the App Store. Traditionally Apple's products are very good with audio/video. I can play video files of my own in Keynote. All of them crash in OpenOffice.
Q59: Can I exchange documents between OpenOffice and iWork, Apple's office suite?
Bidouille wrote:Try with this short file: https://forum.openoffice.org/fr/forum/d ... p?id=25578
I downloaded that file but can't play it on MacOS in either OpenOffice, Keynote, Quicktime Player, or iMovie. This doesn't surprise me since AVI is a proprietary Microsnot format. I can presumably find applications which play AVI format, but that would be getting off-topic and doesn't help the OP solve their problem. mini_video.avi is recognized as a video file, at least.
$ file *.avi
mini_video.avi: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 540 x 360, >30 fps, video: XviD, audio: MPEG-1 Layer 3 (stereo, 44100 Hz)
chris64 wrote:I'm running mac.
How do you expect to get appropriate help here when you provide bad information in your signature? Can I trust that you really run AOO 4.1.1? You receive no further posts from me until you've updated your signature.
BadSignature.png
If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).