[Solved] Font size changes from MS PowerPoint to AOO Impress

Discuss the presentation application
deonholt

[Solved] Font size changes from MS PowerPoint to AOO Impress

Post by deonholt »

Hi and thanks for your help.
I am a day old newbie to OpenOffice which decided to move over to OO.

I need your advice on something, please.
I opened up an almost finished PP file in OO Impress. I noticed that font sizes changed when opening in Impress. So far I have noticed that it happens with Multi-level lists. Is there an easy work-around or will I have to change font sizes manually in OO Impress? (In PP I assigned specific font sizes to specific levels.)

Thanks for your helping and looking forward to learn from all of you.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Hagar Delest

Re: Font size changes from MS Powerpoint to OO Impress

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Please remember that the .ppt/.pptx format was not designed to be compatible with anything else than MS Office. AOO compatibility is not that good, LibreOffice may provide better results.
Fonts can be a root cause also, if the file comes from another machine that may use fonts you don't have.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If you are working on a presentation to be shown using PowerPoint, you should try to edit it in PowerPoint, rather than use an alternate application such as Impress from either OpenOffice or LibreOffice. If that is not possible, and there are no "fancy" effects used, such as fade in/fade outs, mosaic transitions etc, edit it in Impress, then /File /Export as PDF; this PDF file will give exact rendering on the final display computer of what you see onscreen in your editing.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
deonholt

Post by deonholt »

Hagar Delest wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum!

Please remember that the .ppt/.pptx format was not designed to be compatible with anything else than MS Office. AOO compatibility is not that good, LibreOffice may provide better results.
Fonts can be a root cause also, if the file comes from another machine that may use fonts you don't have.
Thanks. I use the same machine.
Just wanted to confirm that when opening the original PP file in AOO I will need to do some font adjusting.

Thanks again.
deonholt

Post by deonholt »

RoryOF wrote:If you are working on a presentation to be shown using PowerPoint, you should try to edit it in PowerPoint, rather than use an alternate application such as Impress from either OpenOffice or LibreOffice. If that is not possible, and there are no "fancy" effects used, such as fade in/fade outs, mosaic transitions etc, edit it in Impress, then /File /Export as PDF; this PDF file will give exact rendering on the final display computer of what you see onscreen in your editing.
Thanks. My idea is to move away from MS Office.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The PDF file is generated in /File /Export as PDF, within Impress, and is shown using a PDF viewer - often Adobe Reader. I cannot answer for which application Windows 10 uses.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

deonholt wrote:I opened up an almost finished PP file in OO Impress. I noticed that font sizes changed when opening in Impress. So far I have noticed that it happens with Multi-level lists.
That is quite probable. Correct it and then always save as a .odp file - don't swap between .ppt and .odp.

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for a discussion, and for why you should always work in, and save, Writer files as .odt, Calc files as .ods, Impress files as .odp etc.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
deonholt

Post by deonholt »

Thanks very much. Appreciate your help.