Missing text on card

Discuss the presentation application
pedro

Missing text on card

Post by pedro »

I am trying to use Impress to create a greeting card. But I have problems printing the text. It looks good on Impress, but when I tried to print it to an HP printer, I kept missing some of it. Then I tried to print to PDF to see if the problem was with the printer... The problem still is there in the PDF, so I think it is a problem with OpenOffice.

I just installed OpenOffice 4.1.8 to see if it fixed the problem.

First image is view of Impress, Each line of text is a separate text box:
office_card1.jpg

The second image is from the PDF file that is produced. I do not know if this is related to the problem, but I rotated the text box and it was not exactly to perpendicular.
office_card1_pdf.jpg
Pedro
LibreOffice 7.2.1.2
Windows 10
pedro

Re: missing text on card

Post by pedro »

fyi. I played with trying to make the text boxes more perpendicular (and also the picture), but it only moved the problem to the next text box to the right.
Pedro
LibreOffice 7.2.1.2
Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: Missing text on card

Post by Hagar Delest »

Can you upload the file itself? Replace the pic by something else so that it's less than 128kiB.
Is the PDF/A option checked? It may lead to issues with transparency. It should not in this case but can't see anything else so far.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It looks as if the Hello World 1/2 text box has an extra line below it that lies on top of the Hello World 3 text box, the background of Hello World 1/2 not being transparent. You may also need to check the Arrange function to get your text boxes to stack correctly front to back.
A copy of the .odp file would help. The rotation of the textbox to exactly 90 or 270 degrees would get the text exactly vertical.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
pedro

Post by pedro »

RoryOF wrote:the background of Hello World 1/2 not being transparent.
Please remind of how to get the background of the text box to not being transparent.
Pedro
LibreOffice 7.2.1.2
Windows 10
pedro

Post by pedro »

Hagar Delest wrote:Is the PDF/A option checked?
Can you elaborate? I could not find "PDF/A" option.
Pedro
LibreOffice 7.2.1.2
Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

PDF/A option is in the /File /Export as PDF dialog
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
pedro

Post by pedro »

Hagar Delest wrote:Can you upload the file itself? Replace the pic by something else so that it's less than 128kiB.
I had various results:
1. picture A... text is messed up as described in original post.
2. replaced with smaller picture (call it B)... all of the text looks fine.
3. no picture at all... all of the text looks fine.
4. different picture (call it C), similar size as original... text is messed up.
5. picture C, but resized smaller within OpenOffice, but 1 inch away from text... all of the text looks fine
6. picture C, but resized smaller within OpenOffice, but adjacent to text... text is messed up.
7. picture B, but resized larger within OpenOffice, to similar size as picture A... all of the text looks fine.

Based on the results I see, I think the problem is with the pictures and not with the text.

I am unable to upload any files with pictures, but here is one without the picture (#3 above). Perhaps if you can add a picture to reproduce this problem.
card5.odp
(12.95 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
Pedro
LibreOffice 7.2.1.2
Windows 10
pedro

Post by pedro »

RoryOF wrote:PDF/A option is in the /File /Export as PDF dialog

My original problem was with actual printing on paper, so I was trying to reproduce by printing to PDF. In the print dialog, I have a choice of my HP printer or "Microsoft Print to PDF" and some others.

Export to PDF seems to work. I will then print from the PDF.

There is something messed up with the printing to a PDF from OpenOffice. It seems to work differently than the export.
Pedro
LibreOffice 7.2.1.2
Windows 10