[Solved] Convert Impress note-pages to PDF or ODT?

Discuss the presentation application
shilliard

Post by shilliard »

I have tried to export Impress note pages to PDF. The PDF contains the slides followed by the notes pages, whereas I want to export only the notes pages.

A year and a half ago, a discussion here:
https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question ... otes-only/
concluded that it was not possible at that time except with a Perl script - a language I have not used.

I am wondering if anyone knows a way to create a file, either PDF or odt, that I can distribute as a handout attached to an email?
Last edited by shilliard on Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 and LibreOffice 6.1.5.2 on windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Convert Impress note-pages to PDF or ODT?

Post by RoryOF »

I don't know of any straightforward way to do this. Generally the notes are no use without the slide to which they refer. One can adjust the notes page layout to reduce the slide size - it might be possible to reduce it to nothing or nearly nothing. /View /Master /Note Master to do so.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
shilliard

Post by shilliard »

I want to keep the slide image that is on the notes page -- and print the whole page. My problem is that when I [export to pdf] while on the notes page and with [x] "export notes pages" checked, the pdf file contains two sections. First section is the original slides, second is the complete notes pages with slide images at the top -- which I want.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The answer may be to install a PDF pseudo printer, adjust the notes page to have the slide image as small as possible then in the General tab of the print dialog print Notes page to the pseudo PDF printer.
shilliard

Post by shilliard »

I am not familiar with PDF pseudo printers. I will look into them.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

It would appear that Windows 10 has this feature available - see for instance https://www.cnet.com/how-to/print-to-pdf-in-windows-10/ or try a web search on windows 10 print to pdf.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

shilliard wrote:The PDF contains the slides followed by the notes pages, whereas I want to export only the notes pages.
Use PDF Split and Merge (google it) to split the PDF and separate out the notes pages.

If I understand what you want it works for me.

Choose Microsoft Print to PDF as the printer in the General tab in the printer dialogue.

Choose the LibreOffice Impress tab, choose Notes, untick Hidden pages (otherwise it used landscape????).

Print.
Clipboard01.gif
Image of 2 page PDF as PDF too large to upload.
Image of 2 page PDF as PDF too large to upload.
If you just want the text without the image copy it to a text document and print that document.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Attachments
test.odp
(47.07 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
shilliard

Post by shilliard »

I appreciate the help. This solves my problem solved but I found a second solution.

1: Windows 10: Print to PDF -- I ran this from LO and OO. Results were similar except the frame around the sheet image was less observable when from OO.

2: PDF Shaper Free -- It split the 20 page PDF exported from OO into two PDF files: 10 pages with slides, 10 pages with notes. The notes look the same as the notes from LO [print to PDF].
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Convert Impress note-pages to PDF or ODT?

Post by John_Ha »

Another way: the General tab allows you to select which pages to print so, if the original file has 20 pages, print only 11 to 20 to the PDF getting only the notes pages.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Re: [Solved] Convert Impress note-pages to PDF or ODT?

Post by RoryOF »

/File /Export as PDF allows one to check "Export Notes pages", which in the PDF appends the Notes pages in sequence to the Slide sequence. Using a PDF split utility this notes sequence can then be split to a separate PDF file of just the notes.

The effect of "exporting notes pages" is to generate a PDF of twice the number of pages as slide - so a 10 slide presentation will make a 20 page PDF - 10 slide plus 10 notes pages. I tried /File /Export as PDF, selecting to use only pages 11 -20 (the notes pages), but OO wouldn't have that. Until the matching slide page is exported, the notes page is not exportable. This may be different using a PDF pseudo printer; I have not tested that.