[Solved] Create an Impress file (.odp) from an (.odt) file

Discuss the presentation application
PencilGal

[Solved] Create an Impress file (.odp) from an (.odt) file

Post by PencilGal »

Is this possible?

I am am reasonably capable with Writer (thanks in a great degree to help from this forum!) :D

I created a children's book (.odt) and exported it as a PDF for publication on KDP, so it exists in those two file formats.

What I would like to do is create a presentation file with audio clips so it would play like a slideshow... ie reading the book aloud.

Before I reinvent the wheel, I wondered if there is a way to get the pages over to slides. Or if there are tips along the way that anyone might share.

I did just notice that I can create an audiobook on KDP, so maybe that is the best route, but still this question remains for other projects.
Last edited by PencilGal on Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 4.1.6 Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Create an impress file (.odp) from a writer file (.odt)

Post by RoryOF »

The quickest way may be to cut and paste from the .odt on a page by page basis; there will be much editing needed in any case.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If it is of help, I recently prepared a presentation from a children's book; this consisted of 38 full page slides, which were already scanned, and the relevant text for each page was placed on a notes page; total editing time, 80 minutes, so as a rough guide, allow 2 minutes per slide. There were no fancy animations, merely the same transition from one page to the next, used throughout the file.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Create images from each page and make the slide show.

LibreOffice Writer has File > Export ..., where you can export each page of a .odt file as a PNG file.

Alternatively

1. Display the PDF on the screen using Adobe Reader
2. Edit > Take snapshot ... Use the mouse to select the whole page from top left to bottom right.
3a. (Best) Paste the copied image into an image editor like IrfanView and save the file as a PNG file. Insert the image into Impress
3b. (not so good - if you later lose the image it is lost) Paste the copied image into Impress.
4. Add music etc.

See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images and why I suggest PNG.

ItfanView allows you to create a slideshow from a folder of images and with limited music.
Attachments
IrfanView slideshow commands
IrfanView slideshow commands
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
PencilGal

Re: [solved] Create an impress file (.odp) from an (.odt) fi

Post by PencilGal »

Thank You !!
Open Office 4.1.6 Windows 10