[Solved] Slide notes are printing offset towards bottom left

Discuss the presentation application
SVS

[Solved] Slide notes are printing offset towards bottom left

Post by SVS »

I'm trying to print a hard copy of slides with notes, and for some reason the contents appear pushed down and to the left by a couple of inches (see attached screenshot). I cannot for the life of me figure out how to prevent this from happening. (It happens both sending to the printer and sending to a pdf). Can anyone provide advise on what to do to get this to print properly?

Thanks much for any help...

:)
Attachments
slide_notes_offset.jpg
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Slide notes are printing offset towards bottom left...

Post by RoryOF »

It may be that your printer is set to use a different paper size or orientation than your OpenOffice; check that these match.

If that is not the problem, try /View /Master /Notes master and drag the outlined areas for the notes and the slides as suits your layout.

It would be helpful if you could upload a small sample file, which need only consist of one or two slides, to the Forum. Note: an odp file, not an image.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
SVS

Post by SVS »

Sorry, I tried attaching the odp, but even a single slide is 246 KB. (The 128 KB maximum allowed is way too low for anything practical to be attached...).

Any way of boosting that for this one attachment?

:)
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Use a file sharing site such as Mediafire and post the link here.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
SVS

Post by SVS »

Overly convoluted, but ok.

Link to odp can be found at http://www.mediafire.com/file/4ftovgy0l ... t.odp/file
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Your notes Page Size is different to the Printer page size (as set on /File /Print : Properties button). Set them both the same - you may need to adjust /View /Masters /Notes; check also that both are set to the same orientation (Portrait).
SVS

Post by SVS »

I verify that I am printing in portrait. The issue is not with the printer, since it happens even when I print to a pdf. Are you able to print the test file to a pdf? I have yet to produce a properly framed pdf by way of print. If you can tell me exactly how you are able to do that, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks much for helping with this.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The situation as it is - see the A$ dimension on top, showing paper set landscape?
The situation as it is - see the A$ dimension on top, showing paper set landscape?
Open your sample file. Select /View /Master /Notes Master and select A4 from the paper format dropdown. Your existing format uses A4 dimensions, set in reverse, as a User paper size; this is part of the problem. Press Ok, then Press Close Master View on the little floating Master View menu bar.

Now /File /Print, select Notes from the dropdown, and all should be well.
Printing to A4, set portrait.
Printing to A4, set portrait.
Wherever I wrote A4, you could substitute Letter if using US paper sizes.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

It works fine in LO.
Clipboard01.gif
See test.pdf for File > Print > [Microsoft Print to PDF].
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

A thought. Your slide size is 28cm x 21cm to give a 4:3 ratio. Try setting it to the identical size as your printer paper.

That being said it worked fine for me with LO and my A4 paper.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

John,

The problem is not with the slide page size, but with the combination of the Notes page size and the Printer paper size. The Notes page, as far as I can see, uses a User defined page which is A4 dimension, but backwards, so this has to be set horizontal to get a portrait format. I cured the problem by /View /Master Pages/ Notes Master and defining the Notes page to be A4, portrait which matched my printer settings.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Rory

My problem is that it works for me in LO with both printer and PDF so I cannot do any diagnosis - all I can do is guess :crazy:

As it works in LO it suggests the .odp file is OK so it must be an AOO problem; or something unique on SVS's PC or printer. It would help to know if using Microsoft Print to PDF works for SVS as it does for me.

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Just to confirm - you didn't see the offset on the notes page shown in the OP''s posting and the first image in my earlier reply today?
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

RoryOF wrote:Just to confirm - you didn't see the offset on the notes page shown in the OP''s posting and the first image in my earlier reply today?
Correct. Both Print Preview (see image in post) and test.PDF (using the MS PDF Printer and not created by LO - see download in post) were OK.

SVS

Post by SVS »

RoryOF wrote:
The attachment GW_screenshot.png is no longer available
Open your sample file. Select /View /Master /Notes Master and select A4 from the paper format dropdown. Your existing format uses A4 dimensions, set in reverse, as a User paper size; this is part of the problem. Press Ok, then Press Close Master View on the little floating Master View menu bar.

The attachment GW_cured.png is no longer available
Sorry. I set A4 and Portrait (see attached image). Still seeing exactly the same offset in the preview (see attachment on one of the previous posts). :crazy:
pdf_settings.png
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

RoryOF wrote: Open your sample file. Select /View /Master /Notes Master and select A4 from the paper format dropdown. Your existing format uses A4 dimensions, set in reverse, as a User paper size; this is part of the problem. Press Ok, then Press Close Master View on the little floating Master View menu bar.

Have you done the above in OpenOffice Impress?
SVS

Post by SVS »

Yes. I'm doing this within OpenOffice Impress. That image is from within the tool...
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I have just done this again on a fresh download of the file. Below I list the exact steps of what I did:

I opened your file in Impress.

I selected /View /Masters /Notes Master
/Format /Page

I selected A4 from the paper format dropdown. I checked the Portrait checkbox, verified that the margin settings were 1 cm (say about 0.37") (your "User" dimensions are for A4) and confirmed that the thumbnail of the paper orientation showed portrait in that window.

I pressed OK to exit the /Format /Page window

I pressed Close Master view button on the Master view floating toolbar.

Then
/File /Print and selected Notes from the "Document" dropdown

If that doesn't show the correct thumbnail, on the /File /Print screen press the "Properties" button and on the "Paper" tab check that A4, Portrait are the settings.

Do the above steps, each and every one of them, and all should be well. The problem is caused by some setting on your computer - I guess your printer may be confused by you using the A4 paper dimensions as a "user" paper size, and these in reverse.
SVS

Post by SVS »

Ah. Got it. Thank you! (I was starting to think about just copying the notes out manually...).

:super: