Crashes when attaching media

Discuss the presentation application
jonoville

Crashes when attaching media

Post by jonoville »

Hi. I have an Imac running Mojave with Open Office 4 installed and I am trying to do a trivia night presentation.
Every time I try to attach a sound or movie clip on a slide the whole program crashes. I've tried MP3's and MP4's with the same result.
I have googled the problem with no luck,
Does anyone know what would be causing this or know what I am doing wrong.
Thanks in advance
Apache Open Office 4.1.6
Mac Mojave 10.14.6
MrProgrammer

Re: Crashes when attaching media. HELP!

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
jonoville wrote:Every time I try to attach a sound or movie clip on a slide the whole program crashes. I've tried MP3's and MP4's with the same result.
I've had similar results. My recommendation is to use Keynote, which is either included with your Mac or can be installed for free from the App Store. You'll need to learn how to use a new program, but this may be easier then fighting with Impress. I've never used Keynote before, but it took only a few minutes to create a presentation and insert some video I had. Ask for help with Keynote in an Apple forum, not here.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
jonoville

Post by jonoville »

Thank's I have used keynote before but I am doing it with other people who only use & know MS Office & Open Office so it would make it awkward...especially as this is a retirement home so most of us are in their 70's, 80's so slow learners. :( . I may have to stick to just written questions
Apache Open Office 4.1.6
Mac Mojave 10.14.6
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

LibreOffice is better "out of the box" at handling media in presentations than OpenOffice.

When using OpenOffice for presentations (my usual choice) I use a hyperlink on a slide and allow the system media player take over the playing of the media clip - in my case, always video with soundtrack.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS