[Solved] Graphics Filter not found

Discuss the presentation application
Tregarth

[Solved] Graphics Filter not found

Post by Tregarth »

I have just scanned an image from a magazine using my Epson combined printer scanner and saved it as a JPG file. But when I try to import it into Impress v4.1.3 I see the message "Graphics Filter not found" which is a new error message for me.

I am using Win 10 Anniversary Update.

Can anyone please tell me why I cannot import the image into Impress/

Thank you,

Tregarth
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Windows 10, Open Office 4.1.3
RoryOF

Re: Graphics Filter not found

Post by RoryOF »

Can you open the .jpg file outside of OpenOffice?

Also, how did you make it as a jpg? Did you merely change the extension?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Tregarth

Post by Tregarth »

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I can open the file in Paint. The file size is 23.6 Mb and in fact I have just e-mailed it using Thunderbird from my NTLWorld.com to myself and it came through no problem.

It was automatically saved as a .JPG as the Epson scanner's default setting. I have looked to see how I can save it as a PNG in case that would work but cannot see how to do it.

Thank you,

Tregarth
Tregarth

Post by Tregarth »

I have dragged the JPG file into Writer and it opens perfectly so I saved it as an .ODT file. I tried using Insert Picture but all I saw was green dots. The same thing happened when I simply dragged the picture into Impress.

The scan is of an A4 picture so, thinking maybe this was too big for the Impress page, in Writer I changed the page size from A4 to A5 and saved that. Again that didn't work either.

But I did not see the "Graphics Filter not found" window.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Thank you,

Tregarth
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Please check that /Tools /Options /OpenOffice Writer /View has a checkmark against "Graphics and objects" under the Display settings. If this is not checked, Writer only displays a box placeholder for the picture, with 8 green handles for resizing.

If you can edit the JPG in an external graphics program, try changing the compression options to use more compression. A workaround may be to export the picture from the external program as a .tif or a .png and try to place that in your Impress file.

I remember that there used be a problem (fixed? I don't know) with some jpegs in OO. It didn't like the colourspace used - there are two, RGB and CMYK; I can't remember which it didn't like. I think it showed the one it didn't like as a totally black box.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Tregarth

Post by Tregarth »

Thank you.

Yes, the "Graphics and Objects" box is ticked. I am beginning to think the problem is the .JPG file.

I can open it both Paint and Writer; when I open it in Paint one of the save opens is .PNG, but when I try to save using PNG I see a message "There is not enough free memory" so I can close the program.

I doubt this very much, whilst I have been trying to edit the JPG file I have been converting a short movie into .WMV format successfully. After the conversion has completed I have closed the PC, re-started and tried to edit the JPG and still seen the free memory warning. I have subsequently found an image on Google (not as good) copied it off the internet and added it to my presentation.

Not sure what to do next.

Regards,

Tregarth
Tregarth

Post by Tregarth »

Cracked it!

1. In CALC (!) I inserted the image and resized it.
2. Saved it as .ODS
3. Used the utility Shotty to grab the re-sized image in the spreadsheet so I didn't have the SS cells showing
4. Saved in Shotty as a JPG file
5. Imported it into Impress no problem.

Obvious really.

Thank you for your help

Tregarth
jimthegeezer

Re: [Solved] "Graphics Filter not found" means jpg too big!

Post by jimthegeezer »

This problem is caused by having too large a .jpg file. It's very easy with a good scanner and A4 images to get a .jpg file of 70 Mbytes or more, and this just doesn't fit in... I've been scanning some ancient family photos, and I reckon the limit is between 20Mb, and 70Mb.
Solution; re-scan at a lower pixels per inch, or use a simple picture editor like Irfanview to reduce the resolution. Reducing it by 50% will give a file size of 25% of the original, etc.
Other than scanning 35mm film, 300 to 400 per inch will do very well for most jobs which have to fit into documents !

(Using Windows 10 up-to-date, Open office 4.1.4)
Cheers!
Open Office Org 3.4.1
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Spike1947

Re: [Solved] Graphics Filter not found

Post by Spike1947 »

I've got to say that this "Graphics filter not found" problem is not solved. I'm using the OpenOffice 4.1.5 - the newest update at the time of this post - with Windows 10. I'm building a montage of maps. There are 13 individual images involved, each of around 4MB in size, that are required to complete this montage. I successfully added the first six of these images without a problem. As I tried to add the seventh I got the "Graphics filter not found" pop-up. After a variety of operations that I didn't bother to track but which included, saving, selecting and de-selecting, grouping and ungrouping and resizing I found that I could add another image. Over the last two days I have repeated variations of this theme and have eventually added four additional images. I'm now at just two to go to complete my montage!

The conclusion that I have drawn is that Impress is perfectly capable of importing these images and Impress/OpenOffice is able to find the graphics filter that it often says it can't find but it doesn't do it consistently. When I started this little project I was using 4.1.2. I read some of the posts about this problem and decided that, since the error was well recognized, it would no doubt be fixed after three version updates. I was wrong. Can anyone tell how this import Picture from a File feature can remain so unpredictable and inconsistent?
OpenOffice 4.1.5, Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] "Graphics Filter not found" means jpg too big!

Post by Hagar Delest »

jimthegeezer wrote:This problem is caused by having too large a .jpg file.
Honestly, a 4MB pic is quite too large for an office document.
Try to resize the pics and make sure you import them with the Insert dialog and not by drag and drop or copy and paste.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Spike1947

Post by Spike1947 »

How can the file size be the problem when I have already added 17 (seventeen) of these "too large" images to the Impress document?
Spike1947

Post by Spike1947 »

I tried adding a jpg file just before I wrote the replay above and failed. I tried it again after posting that response and it succeeded. File size = 5.37 MB (5,638,464 bytes).
Spike1947

Post by Spike1947 »

After several more "Graphics filter not found" pop-ups I imported the last jpg file (4.18 MB (4,385,369 bytes). Total montage file size on on 60" x 60" page is 60.15 MB (63,075,733 Bytes). I was then able to export the montage to a PDF. I like the AOO suite and I really do appreciate that this very robust suite of productivity tools is available. But, before you tell your users what it can't do it might be best to understand what it can do. More than you think seems to be the answer in this particular case.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

AOO is known to have a rather limited capacity for handling pics. You can also increase the amount of memory set to it in the options. I've never faced this myself but it's just what I see from other posts.
The file size seems to be a problem when you accumulate pics.

I never said it couldn't do it, I just tried to answer your question. But well, don't worry, won't try again.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Spike1947

Post by Spike1947 »

Hagar, I apologize for the tone of my reply/comment. I guess I was thinking that somehow the kind of information I was providing was something that would be passed along to the AOO developers. Maybe I'm naive here but it seems like there's something that needs to be tweaked in the coding. If Impress can import large graphics files and it can build a large Impress documents then there's not really a "Graphic filter not found" problem. If that problem is not really there then that error message is not about something that is actually a limitation within Impress or probably AOO in general.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Please see [Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions for information on how to submit an issue. There seem to be a few reports including the text "graphics filter" (with the quotes) - see this link
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Sunfire

Post by Sunfire »

Here's something that worked for me when I kept getting the message "Graphics Filter not found" when using Insert/Picture/From File. Using OpenOffice, I opened the .jpg file I was trying to insert. I adjusted its size to the size I wanted in my text document. I selected the picture. I used Copy to copy the picture to my clip-board. Then I went into the text document where I had been trying to insert the picture and used Paste to get the picture into that document. I was able to use my mouse to get the picture exactly where I wanted it. The picture looks great when I print my document and it looks great when I turned the document into a .pdf to email it to others.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 Operating on Mac OS High Sierra Version 10.12.6
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images in AOO.

Testing shows that a 14MB JPG can be inserted into AOO Impress but a 16 MB JPG gives the Graphic filter error.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Sunfire wrote:I used Copy to copy the picture to my clip-board... and used Paste to get the picture into that document.
Never do that with photos or jpg files - see the above tutorial for why not.
2. Always insert photos by Insert > Picture > From file ..., or by dragging the photo JPG file from your PC (not from the web - see 13) into Writer.

Never insert photos or JPG files by copy and paste. Never - not even once ...
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.