[Solved] Turn off Print Layout view as default in Writer

Discuss the word processor
VictorWarner

[Solved] Turn off Print Layout view as default in Writer

Post by VictorWarner »

I am using OpenOffice 2.3 under Kubuntu.

By default Writer has the Print Layout ticked as default.

I would like to know whether it is possible to set Writer so that this is not the default option. I have looked through the options available under Tools/Options, but there does not seem to be one to change this.

Victor Warner.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved and moved it to the right forum.
r4zoli
Volunteer

Re: How to turn off Print Layout view as default in Writer

Post by r4zoli »

You only could select between print or web layout. In Writer layout change is planned in future, see here.
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
acknak

Post by acknak »

The layout you select is saved with the document you are working on, so that next time you open that document, Writer will start in the same view you were using when you last saved the document.

If you want to make that setting the default for all documents, you must save a document (possibly empty) as a template, then make that template the default. Writer will use that template when it starts and your view setting will be restored from the custom default template.

The basic concept is the same for all the OOo applications:
• Set the formats
• Save the document as a template
• Make this the default template

Step-by-step:

1) File > New > Text document
2) Format the document to make whatever settings you want (e.g. View > Web layout)
3) File > Templates > Save... New template: TextTemplate (name it whatever), Category: My Templates. OK
4) File > Templates > Organize > My Templates > TextTemplate (double-click to drill-down), Commands > Set as Default Template
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

It seems as if the last used view is saved with the document. Set up your own default template which opens in web layout.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
VictorWarner

Post by VictorWarner »

Thank you for all the replies and for how to set a view as a default via template for new documents (from acknak).