The saved document was blank

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Trizio

The saved document was blank

Post by Trizio »

Hi everyone, I have a problem. Almost a year ago I created a document to manage my money using open office calc, but today when I opened it to make some updates, it was completely empty like a new document. I tried to open using excel but it is the same, I also tried using the windows function to recover previous versions, but there are no previous versions. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to recover my lost data, and how?
OpenOffice 4.1.13 on Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: The saved document was blank

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

What is the file size? Compared to a brand new empty spreadsheet for example?
I hope that you have backups because it doesn't look very good at all.

AOO has had issues with data loss since a long time. LibreOffice has fixed the problem, you may consider switching: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Trizio

Post by Trizio »

Hi. thanks I will check it out, anyway the size is 36kb of my document while a new one is 8kb. Also when I tried to open it, it appears a window called text import - filename. I tried different options, but the result is the same
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

You are getting a Text Import Filter dialog when trying to open your document - this suggests your document has been corrupted. See [Tutorial] The Dreaded Pound Signs: file reduced to #### for some ways to try and recover your document.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Cazer

Post by Cazer »

As @robleyd suggested, you're likely dealing with a corrupted file. In addition to following the suggested tutorial, you might also want to try a data recovery software to potentially retrieve the lost data.

Another tip, going forward, consider enabling auto-save and creating regular backups of your important files to avoid such issues in the future. Lastly, switching to LibreOffice, as @Hagar Delest suggested, might help prevent similar problems as it has reportedly addressed this issue.
OpenOffice 4.1.14
OS
Trizio

Post by Trizio »

I wanted to thank everyone for the replies, unfortunately nothing worked. I tried all the tutorials and the recovery data software but I was only able to recover the corrupted files.
I will just considered lost and start a new one, anyway thanks again for all the help.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

If you don't want to face it again, consider moving to LO because they did fix this problem.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10