[Solved] Scan into computer

Discuss the word processor
RonC53

[Solved] Scan into computer

Post by RonC53 »

MS Word 07 has "mspscan.exe" to place an icon on the taskbar to scan in documents from my hp laser jet printer. Does Open Office have similar? Solved.
Last edited by robleyd on Tue May 23, 2023 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved]. Add green tick
Open office 4.1.14 on win11
Hagar Delest

Re: scan into computer

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Basically, no.
See this old topic, nothing has changed much: [Solved] Scanned text document.
You will have to do it manually, that is scan the document, save each page as a picture and import them in Writer or Draw. And use an OCR application if needed.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RonC53

Re: Scan into computer

Post by RonC53 »

I'm surprised. OpenOffice has always been better than MSOffice. It would seem to be an item added in the future. I upgraded computers and wanted that feature. Guess I'll have to load MSOffice 2007 to keep that feature. It's very useful to me.
RonC53

Post by RonC53 »

Thank you for your reply so quickly.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

There are no developers in this forum, you have to ask for the enhancement: [Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions.

Note that AOO is quite walking dead development point of view. LibreOffice is now the successor of OOo. But no such feature either in LO. It doesn't seem to be really needed by many users.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A scan is merely a picture unless passed through an OCR application. In OpenOffice Writer there is /Insert /Picture, which offers the option "Scan": "Select Source" and "Request"
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RonC53

Post by RonC53 »

Can you elaborate. I was convinced to switch to libreoffice
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A scan is basically a picture of a document and the text editor (Writer in this case) cannot "read" the text. An OCR application translates ("recognises") the text of a scan. OCR (Optical Character Recognition) applications are complex; they will recognise the text of a scanned document and put it in form to be passed to a text editor.

For the occasions when I need a document (usually of book length) converted to text, I use a separate OCR application. Depending on quality of the scan (ultimately of the original) OCR may be more or less accurate; there will frequently be a small number (1%-2%) of inaccurate recognitions which will need to be corrected.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RonC53

Post by RonC53 »

I have downloaded HP print and scan doctor and the scan feature of that is my new default. Thank you all for the support. Solved
LastUnicorn

Re: [Solved] Scan into computer

Post by LastUnicorn »

If you are thinking of switching to LibreOffice you might find the following useful: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]