[Solved] Formatting Chaos

Discuss the word processor
Windwood

[Solved] Formatting Chaos

Post by Windwood »

This has happened to me a number of times, and each time I go back and repair the damage, but now it's out of control.
I'm working on a 250+ page manuscript with text, photos, and using a lot of frames for section designations. I just spent two full days editing and cleaning up everything and saved the document last night. When I open it up this morning, most of the frames that I positioned on the outside edges of the pages have flipped over to the inside edges. I have created a Frame Style that I am using throughout.Image
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue May 09, 2023 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
AOo 4.1.13
WIN 10
RoryOF

Re: Formatting Chaos

Post by RoryOF »

In which format did you Save the file?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Please upload a sample document. Working from screen shots requires guessing about the formatting.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Windwood

Post by Windwood »

.odt format.
AOo 4.1.13
WIN 10
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

One candidate is the Optimal wrap setting perhaps? From the help file:
Automatically wraps text to the left, to the right, or on all four sides of the border frame of the object. If the distance between the object and the page margin is less than 2 cm, the text is not wrapped.
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
Windwood

Post by Windwood »

Thank you all. This is so weird. This has happened before but I have gotten much better at clearing hidden formatting and such, all the more reason I did not expect to have issues this time out. Anyway, I got mad this morning and closed the program, went out and cut grass, had a beer and a shower and came back to it. When I reopened the document everything had returned to is designated position, so I can only conclude that I have gremlins. I also have this formatting problem when I transfer this file to my laptop. Go figure. Can't wait to be done and convert to .PDF and call it a day with this project. LOL Thanks guys.
AOo 4.1.13
WIN 10
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

Did you give it time to load fully - its a big document...
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)