[Solved] Files locked after transfer to new computer

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
edgxm1

[Solved] Files locked after transfer to new computer

Post by edgxm1 »

I have about 2000 .odt files on windows 10 open office 4.1.14 to move to a new windows 11 computer.
when i did this with a portable drive all my .odt files on the new computer were locked by the owner name on the old computer
on the old computer,
there are no locked files on either computer.
I had to use different owner name on the new computer because windows 11 would not let me use the same email as on the old computer
how can i transfer large numbers of files to a new computer? t is infeasible to do something with each of the files
George [removed email address]

Edit: Changed subject, was Problem moving files to a new computer 
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Mon May 15, 2023 7:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
win 11 open office 4.1.14
Mountaineer

Re: Files locked after transfer to new computer

Post by Mountaineer »

2 possibilities:

The "official" way to take ownership and change rights - must be done with an admin account. Should be the same on Win11, but some pictures will be different:
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/take ... e-explorer

The other way "cheats" by loosing the information...
I guess you used a harddisk to transfer your files, wich may be formatted with NTFS. This retains all information on user etc... Maybe you noted you are sometimes asked, if you wish to copy something on a thumb-drive, as system-information will be lost. So you should be able to use a smaller thumb-drive with FAT to loose the informationon owner etc. Or you could format a harddisk to use FAT...
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista