[Solved] Convert ALL MS Office files to OpenOffice

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
Brad254

[Solved] Convert ALL MS Office files to OpenOffice

Post by Brad254 »

I have office 365 that expired, how do I convert ALL my office files to Open office.
word, excel powerpoint etc
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
MacOS 10.15.7 OpenOffice 4.4.14
Hagar Delest

Re: how to convert ALL MS office files to open office

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

AOO can read the MS Office files but can't save in the newest one (.docx/.xlsx/.pptx). If you use AOO, then switch to its native ODF (.odt for text, .ods for spreadsheets and .otp for presentations).

Note that LibreOffice is under much more active development and can save in MS Office formats.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Brad254

Re: How to convert ALL MS Office files to OpenOffice

Post by Brad254 »

is there a link in open office to convert all the files in word to AOO, Mt MS office with not warning said I can save or modify my MS files. so need to migrate all to AOO
MacOS 10.15.7 OpenOffice 4.4.14
FJCC

Re: how to convert ALL MS office files to open office

Post by FJCC »

There is a menu item File -> Wizards -> Document Converter. However, I would not use it. Any documents that are finished and don't need to be edited can be left as they are. Conversion will, at best, do no damage and the formatting might get altered. The more complex the document is, the more likely that conversion will require fixing the formatting or even recovering lost information. Any documents that need to be edited can be opened, edited and saved in the appropriate OpenDocument format. I would keep the original, i.e. current, versions as an archive until you are ready to delete them and any descendants.
I assume you will still have access to the storage site of the documents. If not you, need to make your own copies. OpenOffice is a local program and not a web based tool with cloud storage.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.