[Solved] "Always Save As" settings not work

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
arifkayaca

[Solved] "Always Save As" settings not work

Post by arifkayaca »

Hello;

We use OpenOffice 4.1.13 We want to our all OpenOffice works always be "save as" Microsoft Office formats (doc, xls etc.) when we select save button. I had selected "tools > Options > Load/Save > General" > selected document type and "Always save as" formats. But when I had worked in document and selected save, "save as" function didnt work. What can I do. Thanks...
Attachments
OpenofficeSaveas_800x430.JPG
OpenofficeSaveas_800x430.JPG (66.52 KiB) Viewed 4664 times
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OpenOffice4.1.3
RusselB

Re: "Always Save As" settings not work

Post by RusselB »

While I don't have an answer for you, please note that using MS Office formats as default is not recommended.
Please read the tutorial located at viewtopic.php?t=83694&hilit=MS+Office+formats
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

Couple of points here:

(1) If you consistently want to work with Microsoft Office file formats then buy and use Microsoft Office. Converting OpenOffice documents to MS Office is courting disaster up the road.

(2) If you want to ignore that advice then instead of using OpenOffice you should switch to LibreOffice. LibreOffice has greater compatibility with MS Office file types, though It isn't perfect. There are several other reasons to switch to LibreOffice, some of which are given here: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information. However, even if you do switch to LibreOffice the advice in point '(1)' still applies.
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The "Always save as" option applies to new files, not existing files. The screen shot appears to show an existing odt file. If you click "Save" after changing an existing file, the file is just saved in the existing format without opening the Save dialog. If you want to change the file format of an existing odt file, you have to click File > Save As and manually change the file format on the Save dialog. That will save the file as a new file, and leave the existing odt file unchanged.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04